Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: snares

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2004
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What are some good snares by custom drum companies? I was checking out the Dunnet website, the Noble and Cooley Website and also the Craviotto website.

    Actually I was looking to get a metal drum. I tried a Pearl steal drum somewhere that I thought sounded good. A local drummer has a black beauty that sounded good, but other than that I havnt really played on any.(except for the crappy ones that come with 300 dollar sets haha).

    What are the differences in characteristics of different kinds of shell material? Like the differences between Brass, Copper, Steal, Aluminum, Titanium Bronze and so on?

    Im looking for one with good crack and very articulate and crisp stick definition... but something that will be versitile and that i could take to most gigs.

    thanks in advance for the help/.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jean-Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I advise you to read back some posts which were put on earlier and you will probably end up with a Dunnet, especially with the wooden hoop [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I personally never liked the N&C and I have never heard the Craviotto's except for the solid wood by DW which sounded choked to me.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    aluminum is a bright sound, but if you put a wood hoop on top it rounds the tone out and defines the overall crack.
    Bronze is the warmest of metals, next would be Brass, then copper.
    titanium is an all round metal, very thin and light, but because of the thinness in the shell can tend to go 'egg' while changing a drumhead, so you have tolossen the bottom head at the same time before dropping the top head.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member piccupstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm starting to research snares a bit more now too. You're right, there are a bizillion choices out there, not all that can be tested readily. I'm still debating wood or metal, let alone what alloy - important stuff considering it has so much to do with your "signature sound." I guess it wouldn't hurt to go back to some posts here.

    Oops...just noticed:
    http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...ic/f/609/t/619

    Does anybody know what snare Steve Smith used on his "Drumset Technique/History of the U.S. Beat" DVD? I liked what I heard. I didn't notice if he changed the snare as often as he did his kit.

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ July 07, 2005 02:14 PM: Message edited by: piccupstix ]</font></font>

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 07, 2005 04:25 PM: Message edited by: piccupstix ]</font>

  5. #5
    Inactive Member sjj123's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    328
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Its a snare made by Jeff Ocheltree (sp)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Endomeph's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I belive the snare drum Steve Smith was using was a 1925 Leedy Black Elite SD. I may have the date wrong but that snare has body!! I want one too.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Endomeph's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hold on.... are we talking about part 1 or 2?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Randy walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2001
    Posts
    2,662
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the new DVD Smith put out, not the older ones.

    The snare used in the older Warner videos was a Radio King built by Pat Foley, finish and edges that Paul Jamison then put a badge on saying he built it.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ July 07, 2005 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Randy Walker ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •