Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ride

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2004
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought my technique was improving for my right hand jazz ride stuff because I became way faster at it these days (still slow.... like in the high 280s but thats pretty fast for me haha...) but then I recorded it, and it sounds really spine less, I guess theres not enough definition in the quarter note pulse... it doesnt feel good cuz the notes seems too close together.

    Anyone have any good practice tips/ excersize to increase ride technique definition?

    So far I've just been practicing it really really slow... from about 40bpm to 80bpm for about 10-15mins with the technique that, atleast to me seems to be the correct one. then I work for 5 mins on 100-200 cuz im fairly comfortable with this and then another 10 mins or so doing stuff from about 240-280.... 270 is about where it starts to kinda suck....

    well any help at all would be very very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    "it doesnt feel good cuz the notes seems too close together."

    This may be doing to limiting the motion of your stick. Both Weckl and Hamilton describe a pretty loose approach to the ride cymbal where the hand doesn't stop the stick from a full motion. I think Dave reviews this in one of his latter videos.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member hanayalator's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2003
    Posts
    293
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buy lots of jazz cds, put them on, play to them just playing the ride (and maybe hh and feathering the bd). Do that lots.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member GoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2004
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys. Thanks for the help so far.

    Actually ironicaly, I learned this ride technique from Jeff Hamilton...I got to get a lesson (for free!!) when he came to town. He told me to use the first finger as the fulcrum because this technique requires no actual finger control and uses only bounce. The first stroke is basicaly throwing the stick into the ride and the hand opening up and the second stroke is the fingers coming back and sweeping the other strokes out of the ride..... but I think I'm doing it wrong.... i looked at Erskines technique from Drummerworld and it looks like hes opening and closing the hand on the exact opposite side of the beat... it seems to make more sense the way he does it so I must of misunderstood/misheard what he showed me at the lesson...(some student huh?)

    Well either way, Im sticking to how I see Peter Erskine do his and hopefully it will turn out better.. I've tried it today and it seems to work well for me.

    Thanks for the advice guys. Keep em coming!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member ashio nz's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2001
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Practice the triple stroke roll with the metronome also.

    Actually, all of the limbs when combined musically and dynamically, can contribte to a fast ride pattern. Tony W is the king at achieving this I believe, listen to Max Roach when he plays fast jazz stuff.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Listen to a lot of swing ie: Frank Sinatra "Live at the Sands." That's a great album to play to and work on your swing groove.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member GoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2004
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks.. will try. I've noticed that alot of the problem probably has to do with balance between the limbs also. I've noticed after listening to myself more that my snare and bass drum playing is really well... noisy compared to that of the masters. I guess that could make things muddy in terms of my personal mix and the ride with not be heard that well. ....also its a ZBT... umm... yeah....

  8. #8
    Inactive Member SSmithite's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    YIKES! [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] That ZBT could be part of the reason it doesn't sound right. One of the best investments you could make would be to get yourself a good Zildjian (IMO) K ride of some kind. I like the K Constantinople but those are a bit pricey. You can get a decent used K rideone on E-bay for a reasonable amount.

    I'm not saying that technique doesn't play a hug roll, I'm just saying that the actual cymbal is a critical component to the overall sound you get while playing your technique.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member ashio nz's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2001
    Posts
    235
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Indeed - definetely get a good ride cymbal! Why compromise your sound with sub-standard equipment?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member GoMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2004
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    lack of money! hahaha....

    well yeah though... seriously. I think i'd like to buy me an HHX Evolution ride or maybe the HHX manhattan jazz.. but i dont really have the funds for it right now....

    for those who do, midwest percussion is selling sabians for cheap now withtheir instant rebate deal...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •