Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Residuals were essential!

Think you don't get paid enough for what you do?

Look at the pay sheet for one of the sessions that yielded half of his best-known album, Kind of Blue.
    Davis was paid $129.36, while Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Wynton Kelly and Bill Evans were paid $64.67.
    Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb, on bass and drums respectively, were paid $66.67, the extra two dollars for
    "cartage" of their instruments.

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Perspective, indeed.

& the sad thing is, that was prob considered "decent" for that time... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

Just when one think's that they might know a little about what's really going on... [img]eek.gif[/img] [img]frown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

& here Coltrane was prob arguably one of the greatest proponents of the sax ever.

It reminds me of another HODhb member's sig's, about [paraphrased:] how a groundbreaking muso's [or some other professions] greatness usually isn't taken into consideration until LONG after their earthly lifetime ["it's not that some peeps are 'ahead of their time,' it's that most others are behind"...]

"Best of luck" to all full-time pro musos [myself included; ESP jazz musos]...in hitting the "poverty line" on your tax form at least, that is... [img]confused.gif[/img] ];-/ /=-|

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 06, 2005 05:57 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah, but i bet they've got plenty over the years. Sales of that album are silly. Plus they would get wicked paying gigs after that (i'm assuming anyway).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll bet the record companies received more than their share of the take. But they may've taken a hit to further the artform too. [img]wink.gif[/img] Moreso than by today's measures. /=-|

[Nothing like a little dash of pessimism from gamg to brighten up your day...] ;-p

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 06, 2005 06:02 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Minimum wage was what back then -- $0.50/hr?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Heh... [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by LDGuy:
    yeah, but i bet they've got plenty over the years. Sales of that album are silly.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Don't bet on it. If they got payed a fee, that may mean they didn't arrange a royalties deal. It tends to be one or the other. I can't think of who it is now, but there is one particularly famous example of a band or artist who were seduced by the (it-seemed-big-at-the-time) fee option, then the album went on to sell several million and they got zero after the intitial fee.

Moral of the story? Have confidence in your product and go for the long term deal. But that kind of thing is easy to say, harder to do when you're broke..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

even if you didnt get a portion cd sales wouldnt u get royalties because the songs were written by you...unless of course you sold those rights too.

Anyways, there are many opportunities for all of us who are/want to become pro musos to make money on the side...starting up your own business and little things like that....

well little...haha its easy to say but i've been reading some good books on the subject such as the rich dad poor dad series and it has greatly inspired me to be free!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah...Most musos will never see one of those ["residuals," that is]...Muhwahhahahahaaaahhh
    I can't think of who it is now, but there is one particularly famous example of a band or artist who were seduced by the (it-seemed-big-at-the-time) fee option, then the album went on to sell several million and they got zero after the intitial fee
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Um...i have more than a sneaking suspicion that there are far more than just "one" seemed case... [img]wink.gif[/img]

How does one copywrite their improv'd version of a jazz standard? There's a longer answer to that one out there...

I'm w musk on this one. /;-/

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 07, 2005 06:45 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

confounded double post [sometimes shift happens] [img]confused.gif[/img]

I'll add in edit that the only other residual had by those certain "lucky" artists ["poor, hapless b*st*rds," really] is the residual in their drawers upon discovery of having been had...that sounds like a jihad extremist you'd want to avoid..."Haven Ben Had[-id]"... [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 07, 2005 06:43 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast