Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think some time back i saw some posts on this 10 DVD box set... i was just watching the new trio's disc again...Jeff Ballard is absolutely insane! He's got such an amazing sense of sound and phrasing...if you watch the DVD check out his playing on fingerprints...i thought he was already burning on the CD version but on this take he's just so creative and fluid. I don't think i've heard any other drummer sound anything like him before...

Also some nice moments, Weckl's brushwork on Someday my prince will come (Akoustic Band), Everything Steve Gadd plays on the Three Quartets Band DVD and some of the chick and gonzalo stuff. This is just such a great box set.

Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow, that sounds hip, I haven't gotten hold of this DVD yet.

Ballard is one of my fave contempo-yet-SA jazz drummers of late [along with Tain, Hamilton, Stewart, Baron, Cruz, Kennedy [yes, Will], Gottlieb [I dig his jazz approach], etc...[of course, Elvin, Philly, Haynes, Deej, Morello, etc have long been in there AW]. Anything Gadd or Ersk has always been "drumming-gospel" in my book also. And I liked SSmith's playing on the tune Blade off Vital Info 2 - Orion, back in the day. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

There's a cat [sorry; remiss on his name] on [gtrst] Jimmy Bruno DVD that's a great old-school-meets-contempo drummer too...good jazz/swing stuff. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]cool.gif[/img]

The CCAB & CCAB-Alive discs [Wecklmonster] have also long been a standout for me in old-meets-progressive-contempo fuso scary OTT "jazz" drumming for me...[I said "fuso," & didn't say "bop or swing," & put jazz in quotes [""] for the jihadists who would inevitably end up calling me on that one] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

So, eh, yeah, back to topic/Ballard, he's cool. [Probably wouldn't be playing w CC if he wasn't] ;]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 10, 2005 03:20 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, this is one hell of a Chick-fest, this DVD. Good, but probably about too much Corea for anyone in their right mind. I'm sure Roy Haynes and Gadd kick fat ass as well...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I really wnna check this set out, it will be my next buy when i have lots of cash!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeff Ballard is an artist. I personally thought he was the best drummer, and part of the best rhythm section. Then again, it may be because I'm Gadd, Weckl, and Colaiuta'd out a bit. These men are amazing, but we're pretty sure of what, and how they will be playing.

Jeff comes out with traditional drum sound playing in his own unique way. Playing only for the music, and swinging his butt off. He's a very underated player in the drum scene, but in New York City, he's the top jazz drummer along with Bill Stewart.