Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Jazz

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Clintuplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    559
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Steve, could you give some suggestions on Jazz playing as well as a brief history on how you made the transition from Rock to Fusion to more Straight Ahead Jazz. Thanks.

    Clint

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Inactive Member arin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2001
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Talking about Jeff Tain Watts, how do you like Citizen Tain? I'm listening a lot to this record lately. It's great. :-)

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Clintuplet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 4th, 2001
    Posts
    559
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the info!!!

    Clint

    ------------------

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I was a HARD CORE Rush head for years. Then one day (while I was playing Mike Tyson's Punch Out on the first Nintendo) my friend calls me to tell me he got a tape called EYE OF THE BEHOLDER on that the drummer was great.

    Anyways I found I loved fusion and got all into it and took lessons with a guy in Jersey. This is when I started jazz. He put on the books that 90% of guys that learn jazz go through. Jum Chapins "Advanced Techniques FOr The Modern Drummer" which is a book about independance (playing various things wih your left hand and feet while playining the swing pattern with the right). That book and Ted Reeds book "Progressive Steps To Syncoptaion" which is my drumming Bible essentially. So thats when I had *basic* jazz independance down. During this time I was neck-deep in the Weckl and Steve Smith videos as well.

    Learning to appreciate jazz came from just listening and hanging out with musicians. NOT drummers. I'm lucky enough to have a friend that plays Jazz guitar and through playing with him for YEARS I've managed to get familiar with most of the commonly played Jazz standards and how drummers should approach them. ALso I was always trying to figure out how to make other musicians happy. That is after all a drummers job. The concepts are not that hard really. Its all about supporting.

    -Support the melody (most Jazz melodies or "heads" are pretty short and dont require much memorization) by keeping good time and accenting the important figures.

    -Supprt the soloists. This is the tricky part because every soloist prefers to be comped for differently. I would just ask cats how it felt during their solos. I would try to interact, but not get in the way. Harder than it sounds.

    - I wanted to develope a soloing vocabulary. SOloing is important to me because frnakly its fun to play, and fun to tlisten to. A lot of the old school jazz drummers swung their ass off but when it came time to trade it kind of lost its fire after a bit. I didnt want to be one of those guys.

    -Lastly and most important, it has to SWING. This is one of those things that cant be put on paper. The key is, you have to know what swinging sounds like before you can judge right? Swinging to me is Jeff Tain Watts. Jack Dejonette. Thats friggin cymbal driving away. I want to swing like that so I'm always trying to get that same vibe when playing jazz. Wynton Marsalis' "Standard Time Vol 1" is THE example of swinging for me. Michael Breckers "Tales From The Hudson" I'm more into that kind of jazz playing than the Vinnie style actually. Vinnie plays alot of stuff with his other 3 limbs against the ride as opposed to putting enrgy into just the cymbal swining hard. When the cymbal is happening, the whole friggin tune is happening I think (for the most part.)

    I'll shut up now.


    ------------------
    webmaster,
    www.houseofdrumming.com

  5. #5
    Inactive Member alexsanguinetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 15th, 2003
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ohhhhhh, by the way:


    Jeff20Watts20and20Alex20Sanguinetti

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 18, 2003 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Alex Sanguinetti ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    By all means, follow
    up on the above. Steve
    knows what he's talk-
    ing about.

    Alex is mainly does jazz,
    while being able to do
    anything else, having
    covered everything in
    the genre.

    In addition to that, may
    I suggest that you try
    and focus on one of your
    rudiments for a little
    help and that is the
    "paradiddle-diddle", as
    in these:

    Righty: R(c)L(s)RR(c)LL(s) etc.
    Lefty: L(c)R(s)LL(c)RR(s) etc.

    Use this rudiment and
    pattern, changing the
    dynamics, accents and
    emphasis. Your elast-
    icity with this, will
    become a great ally
    in bop situations.

    Steve G. picked up on
    Elvin's application of
    this pattern.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 18, 2003 09:46 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner Steve Holmes's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2001
    Posts
    1,243
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice pic Alex! I'm jealous! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member hanayalator's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2003
    Posts
    293
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Check out Peter Erskine's two videos; Everything Is Timekeeping 1 + 2. Almost everything you need to know (besides listening to the greats).

  9. #9
    Inactive Member alexsanguinetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 15th, 2003
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haaahahaha, yeah man, what can you do?

    All the best!

    Alex Sanguinetti

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 18, 2003 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Alex Sanguinetti ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, Steve. Alex has
    met and talked to all
    the greats. He makes me
    sick but that's just the
    pictures! Give him a
    pair of sticks and he'll
    pound nails in my coffin!

    I've actually had the
    fortune of having on-line
    lessons with Alex.

    Of course, you have to
    open your ears to the
    great players and I re-
    member when I first
    started talking to Alex,
    all the great players
    of the past were right
    at the tip of his tongue
    and sticks and these
    players, are truly es-
    sential to swinging, in
    my opinion.

    Guys like Sonny Payne,
    for instance. He's one
    of the best. His stuff
    with the Count is ice!

    You just have to listen
    to him. It's a must!

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •