Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Guys,

I'm really not familiar with him, but I must say that he kicked my ass on this drum solo, amazing !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/w/Mike-Mangin...search=mangini

It's Bozzio, Cobham, Philips in one person, awesome !!!

Enjoy.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fuck! That man's technique is mind boggling. He can play faster with one hand than most can with two! The display of polyrhythms, and getting them all completely nailed, is rediculous. I just hope he could mature a little, cos i reckon he's well beyond Bozzio's technique. I just wanna see him play some more musical stuff.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by LDGuy:
    Fuck! That man's technique is mind boggling. He can play faster with one hand than most can with two !
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">VERY true !!!
    Faster than me anyway !!!

[img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm 1/3of the way through the vid and I'm nodding off. [img]graemlins/sleepy.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I feel about Mike the way a lot of people feel about Lang. (who I like btw) Mike has tons of chops but is missing everything else that makes a player interesting to me. I feel bad saying it because he's clearly a nice guy and I have a huge amount of respect for him, but he always seems to sound amazing and terrible at the same time.

I keep trying to be impressed as I'd much rather like someone's playing than not. I just can't make it happen.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rodge my man! How could you not know Mangini - there have been so many threads and talks of him here!

Thanks for posting that solo - it's one I have never seen before. I watched about half of it. Amazing technique and independence, but like Derek said: lacking everything else in a drummer.

I've seen him in clinic, he's a great guy, very energetic and eccentric.

It's ironic too because he ended up with a gig that I passed up (Annihilator). So I pass on a gig and then Mangini takes it... weird!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

He's a damn freak that's for sure,but def.not my taste.I like the one-handed roll while whiping the sweat off his forehead with various magazines tho' [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] .That,to me, was the best moment of the solo and i think it tells a lot about his personality.
    I really miss the humor in drum solos and music in general,that's why i love Zappa so much.I guess i appreciate the humor he displayed more than his solo.
    I also have to recommend a very good album that mike plays on.It was actually the first time i got to hear him play.The cd's called"Waiting for the punchline" and the band is Extreme.It's a very cool rock record with lots of great riffs and melodies.Mangini plays just the right parts with,believe it or not,very "subtle" chops here and there.I really dig that album so check it out if you can.I don't know if Mangini was so much into chops and polyrythms at that time,but if you wanna hear him play (good)music,that one should do the trick.
    Give your feedback if you know it as this thread makes me wanna listen it now. [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree, his stint with Extreme was cool... their hit single from that album "Hip Today" has a great intro drum fill and groove and overall drummer. Jeez! Forgot all about that! I'll have to come back and post it if anyone is interested.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Those magazines are his books.

Clearly, he can do things that
    few, if any, can do and yet, what
    many can do has escaped him.

I believe in Mike and look to
    the future.

[img]cool.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well said Peter.
    I have a CD featuring both Mangini and Hass, by this rock singer Chris Emerson.
    I don't have to tell you whose lazy greasy groove and musical fills make it over the other for me.
    Again, that technique has absolutely nothing to do making music.
    I don't care for it, and don't care for the way it's used. Vinnie Colaiuta is one of the few drummers who is pretty fast and uses it musically.
    I can simply appreciate the discipline it took to get there. However, it has nothing to do with music.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast