Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the prices for premium membership. While it may be worth it, I'm disappointed that Virgil feels the need to charge his fans that kind of money. That said, I'm still considering joining (because it is Virgil we're talking about), and had two questions for those of you who already joined.

- Can download the files permanently to your computers (e.g. in WMV or MOV format)?

- Can you go back and get previous month's lessons if you join later?

Thanks for any info you have....

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 18, 2004 06:40 PM: Message edited by: mja61 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by mja61:
    I just about fell out of my chair when I saw the prices for premium membership. While it may be worth it, I'm disappointed that Virgil feels the need to charge his fans that kind of money.
    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ January 18, 2004 06:40 PM: Message edited by: mja61 ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do you think Virgil makes serious cash? I believe you're wrong if so. The work he does really does not bring in a lot of $$. Planet X isn't selling out large forums...geez, they had maybe 150 people at the opening night of the MoonBabies Tour at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood and the same on the closing night, w/maybe 30 people for the second set. That's just sad! CAB plays small venues like the Potato with about 100 people max. Where's he making all the cash? Planet X could try to write more commercially or listener friendly material. The title cut, "MoonBabies" came close. They need to tap into the RUSH/ Metalica crowd and ease into their own style if they want to sell CD's. If they want to stay in the cutting edge progressive rock/ fusion mainstream, there just ain't much $$ there. If I'm off base let me know.

I've discussed some buisness options with Virgil several times comprised of making performance & solo videos from his massive archives dating back to his days in Aussie to the present. This guy is a master and should get rewards for his dedication, skill, and focus. He's not 25 anymore...he's earned it bigtime. Nothing more disheartening to hear a successful craftsman just scraping by when some teen-pop dip stick or punk pro athlete throws millions away at the gambling table.

That said, I just heard last night ol' Sting STILL makes $150K on JUST the tune, "Every Breath You Take." That guy has so much cash he can start camp fires with $1000 bills...and he can go camping all year round!

I say, Support Your Fellow Drummer!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm a big believer in supporting your fellow drummer and I will continue to buy all of Virgil's discs, videos and DVD's I can find.

However, I'm not inclined at this point to spend money on a website. At the same time, I certainly don't think Virgil is "ripping off" anybody nor do I think others are foolish for wanting to be a member, regardless of their reasons.

I think for me, it just boils down to value. I'd rather spend the money on other products featuring Virgil. The question of whether you can "keep" downloaded content is a valid one IMO and I'd like to know the answer if anyone can provide it.

I have to admit, if Vinnie put out a similar site, I'd do it so I guess it's just about how big a fan you are as much as anything.

I wish him the best with it in any case. He really does deserve any and all success he gets.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

By the way the video content is set up on the site, I see no problems with keeping the videos indefinitely. If they didn't want people to download them, they would make it streaming only. Sure, there are ways to get around that, but at least then they're making it known that they don't want people to have it stored on their own computers.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes you can download the lessons. Which by the contain very helpful info. My view is maybe two fold. I am a big fan and he Virgil is most definitely a Master drummer making HUGE contributions to the drumming and music world as a drummer and also a composer so I wish to support him like others(Vinnie, Dave etc.) for their wonderful contributions.And just on a technical/conceptual note, this Guy has been and continues to push the drumming bar big time and he has MUCH to offer to drummers who want to learn I being one of them.

Derek is right, guy's are part of boards for different reasons, there is no doubt that Virgil inspires many drummers to take their drumming to a whole new level not just technically or conceptually but also in the area's of dedication and discipline. Their are some very serious drummers who are signed up because THEY want to learn and be inspired to a greater level. Just read Beats story to see how Virg has impacted certain guy's even guy's who are already pretty darn proficient(hearken back to the Thomas Lang statement about Virg). And Pocket is right this guy by know means is Rich he work's his Butt!! off to do and to contribute what he does, so really it is not much money to me, again considering what top flight lessons cost. I imagine Virg makes a little from royalties from his contributions to some very popular Aussie artists but again it is not like he is getting rich from it. Not much else to say Pocket and Derek said it very well.

Dig

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I admit that when the Virg site was first relaunched I was completely bashing it, and the cost for the premium membership....I have since signed up for the membership, and have nothing but good, make that great things to say about it....Virgil is a huge inspiration to me, and it took me a few days to wake up and realize what a bargain it is for the online lessons....you are taking lessons from a technical genius and a guy who continues to raise the bar....the guy is pure inspiration, and he is a living example of what hard work and true dedication can lead to....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well said Quitou! [img]cool.gif[/img]

Dig

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well said, PP, DDF, quitou, & Dij.
    It's just a matter of time 4 Virg...
    ...he should throw out as many discs as Weckl...
    ...we the musicians' fanbase [esp drummers!] will help support him if no1 else will.... [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 19, 2004 05:47 PM: Message edited by: FuseU1 ]</font>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123