-
June 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Does anyone know what these dvd;s are like??
Steve Jordan - The Groove is here (do u actually learn anything or is it him just playing?)
Holland, DeJonette, Metheny, Hancock - Live
Bill Bruford - Footloose and fancy free (never seen him...whats his jazz thing like?)
thanks....
-
June 8th, 2004, 04:50 PM
#2
Inactive Member
To be honest, the Steve Jordan DVD was a little bit of a dissapointment for me. I expected it to be crammed full of advice about grooves (advice about playing in front/behind/on the beat etc) but its pretty much him playing grooves for an hour. He only touched very briefly on topics I wanted to know about such as playing with a metronome. The rest of the DVD is him demonstrating grooves that he's played on records (and man does he GROOVE!) and clips from musicians saying what they like in a drummer.
-
June 8th, 2004, 05:18 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I liked the Steve Jordan DVD for the very reasons you mention that you didn't, he grooves for an hour or more. But as said, there is no instruction per se, but if you are good at figuring out other drummer's patterns you can pick up some useful, tasty grooves from it. The grooves are from the basic, no frills, yet highly effective side. Blues, basic R&R, R&B etc. No chops displays at all. If you're looking for fusion, skip it.
Bruford's jazz is, well, English. He's always been an interesting and musical player though.
-
June 8th, 2004, 07:01 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Brufords Jazz is "English" ...please explain LOL !! [img]eek.gif[/img]
-
June 8th, 2004, 09:07 PM
#5
Inactive Member
The Metheny disc is amazing.
-
June 9th, 2004, 12:45 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Go and check Bill's samples...
http://www.billbruford.com/eworks/audio.html
I've been tempted to get that DVD myself since Modern Drummer rated it very high if I remember well... Bill Bruford is a true original, One of a Kind [img]wink.gif[/img] , great percussionist as well. Genius in Time Displacement, that angle of his playing was an influance on Dennis Chambers (I'm referring to Dennis' first MD interview).
-
June 9th, 2004, 02:49 AM
#7
Inactive Member
I'm a big fan of Bill's drumming. Regarding my comment - my exposure to English jazz drummers is too limited to generalize...never mind and no offense intended!
-
June 9th, 2004, 06:44 PM
#8
Inactive Member
LOL !!!
No offence taken just didnt get what u meant !! [img]graemlins/sleepy.gif[/img]
-
June 9th, 2004, 06:55 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I know what you meant, V, & indeed it was no offense...
Bruford is a great drummer, & at that time he was 1 of the UK's most notable, famous, & 'successful' drummers to date...his jazz FEEL was a bit, well, questionable, although he def had the technique to pull it off...there has never been any doubt that he is a great player. I think Master Strokes had a little bit of a 'tip of the hat' to 'jazz,' but that's why a lot of guys were saying that he wasn't really a 'jazz' player...even Bill said this himself in person to us at a clinic back in the very early 80's... [img]wink.gif[/img]
-
June 9th, 2004, 07:34 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I think that most of the tunes on Bruford's DVD are taken from his CD "Sound of Surprise" - which I like a lot. If you're not getting the DVD, get this CD. (or perhaps you should listen to it first before you buy it, because it is a bit special...) (and that goes for the DVD too...)
[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks