Thread: Runaways history: anything out there?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I read on TheRunaways.com "There are 477 different Runaways biographies", which I don't suppose is meant literally! What I'm wondering is: is there ANY biography of any sort that provides a detailed history of the band? If not there's certainly a need for one! I don't suppose it will happen, but if a long-term member like Sandy or Joan could write one, it would be fascinating. There are so many questions that it's hard to find an answer to.

E.g. what on earth was going on when 'And Now...' was being recorded? It seems incredible that John Alcock had the power to marginalise Joan and ban Vicki from the studio. How could this happen after an album as good as 'Waitin' for the Night'? And beyond then, has anyone ever seen a photo of the band onstage when Laurie McAllister was with them? It would be intersting to know if the band's image onstage was unchanged in this period, or whether songs from 'And Now...' were suggesting a change of direction?

I'm not expecting any answers, but no harm in asking!

<font color="#ffffff" size="1">[ January 31, 2006 08:50 PM: Message edited by: AdrianW ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, sorry there aren't any biographies with the detail you are looking for, but there are many general overviews in books and on the Internet.

I think Toby Mamis covered it pretty well with the liner notes to Little Lost Girls and Mama Weer All Crazee Now in describing how John Alcock, Sandy and Lita hit it off as far as musical direction. John and Joan probably just didn't click and Vicki was sick at the time.
    http://www.therunaways.com/albums2.php

I don't recall seeing many, if any live pictures of Laurie performing with the band. Remember, she joined the band around October/November 1978 and their last performance was December 31, 1978. But you can see Laurie in action with the band in the videos "Saturday Night Special" and "Weer All Crazee Now."

<font color="#ffffff" size="1">[ February 01, 2006 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Wasted ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Hi Adrian,
    There is one photo with Laurie on this photo site:

http://www.photofeatures.com/runaways/index.html

There are also two photos with her, posted on this thread:

http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...c&f=1846&t=304

You can find other discussion, in the archives of this board, by using the search function.

Always happy to help out here!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
    Gus