Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Previously unreleased Runaways recordings?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Asked this on Cherie's forum and it was suggested that I bring my question here. Here goes... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyone know if there's much in the way of unreleased demos, rejected songs, outtakes, etc. still out there?

Senior Hostboard Member gus danger's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

I recall discussion about this but haven't been able to find it anywhere.

I know The Runaways did a song LIVE called 'Don't Abuse Me' which Joan later recorded but I'm not sure if The Runaways ever did! Their live version is on the Flaming Schoolgirls CD, as is the studio version of C'Mon and other previously unreleased material.
    Do you have Flaming Schoolgirls?

Maybe some other folks are aware of more unreleased Runaways songs. I'll let you know if I think of anything else!
    Gus

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know. I think I remember Vicki Blue and Jackie Fox commenting that there wasn't much if any unreleased material, but they weren't with the band the whole time and might not know for sure.

Flaming Schoolgirls and Born To Be Bad are two albums that released a lot of rare previously unreleased material. There could still be a few gems or nuggets tucked away, but who knows.

There were a few songs played live that haven't been released like "That's Rock And Roll" and "Me And You." I believe the former is a Shaun Cassidy cover. I don't know much about the latter song, except that is was listed in an early concert review.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Wasted:
    I don't know. I think I remember Vicki Blue and Jackie Fox commenting that there wasn't much if any unreleased material, but they weren't with the band the whole time and might not know for sure.

Flaming Schoolgirls and Born To Be Bad are two albums that released a lot of rare previously unreleased material. There could still be a few gems or nuggets tucked away, but who knows.

There were a few songs played live that haven't been released like "That's Rock And Roll" and "Me And You." I believe the former is a Shaun Cassidy cover. I don't know much about the latter song, except that is was listed in an early concert review.
    <font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica">Sometimes with these things, they just get the song names wrong. I saw a shoddy-looking CDR bootleg for sale on eBay UK (didn't buy it as the price was stupidly high) that had the songs "It's Alright" and "Danger Zone/Law and Order (medley)" listed in the description.

<font color="#ffffff" size="1">[ February 28, 2006 08:56 PM: Message edited by: Dav - snotty punk from England ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Chance_Lander:
    True. I remember one review of an early Beatles gig claimed one of the songs performed was called, "With A Love Like That, You Know You Should Be Bad."

I find any rare Runaways recordings are hard to come by. I've got all the official stuff, but only one bootleg, "Flaming Panties" (the Cleveland '76 gig.) I'll keep looking, I'd love to have at least one show from each year they were together. Can anybody help?
    <font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica">Stooges bootlegs are notoriously bad for giving the songs incorrect titles. I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate attempt to flog more records.

To me, LiJ was a bit of a let down as it was pieced together from more than one gig, used overdubs and it appeared that most of the stage talk was cut. I like to get the full experience of the band when I listen to a live record, without any tinkering to make it sound better...

stage &gt; sound board &gt; tape &gt; record &gt; my stereo

I'm actually quite surprised that none of the bootlegs have seen semi/official release - as often happens with a band that's been 'dead' for as long as the Runaways have.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, I've seen many song titles screwed up too. The review I'm referring to though, was written by Kari Krome who was involved with the band early on and she most likely knew all the song titles. Don't know if "Me And You" changed into something else or if it was a unique song that never got released.
    All kinds of people are on stage screaming into the mikes and the clock strikes 12. Party time! The music roars and the band is moving into "Me 'n You." Cherie prances up to Joan, arm around shoulders, both singing into the mike. They're both getting off on the music and I think to myself, "Brian Jones should be alive to see this."
    http://www.therunaways.com/ra_press4.html
    http://www.therunaways.com/print.php
    <font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica">The song "That's Rock And Roll" is a different song than the Velvet Underground cover "Rock And Roll" the band released on their first album. "That's Rock And Roll" is the only unreleased song that I've run across that appears on a live bootleg, The Originals.

http://www.therunaways.com/music.php

Have you ever run across the boot Birmingham Blitz? It was supposedly recorded in the UK, July 1978. It would be interesting to know if the boot really exists and what the song list was.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

True. I remember one review of an early Beatles gig claimed one of the songs performed was called, "With A Love Like That, You Know You Should Be Bad."

I find any rare Runaways recordings are hard to come by. I've got all the official stuff, but only one bootleg, "Flaming Panties" (the Cleveland '76 gig.) I'll keep looking, I'd love to have at least one show from each year they were together. Can anybody help?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Wasted:

Have you ever run across the boot Birmingham Blitz? It was supposedly recorded in the UK, July 1978. It would be interesting to know if the boot really exists and what the song list was.
    <font size="2" face="Arial,Helvetica">Na. I don't have any Runaways boots at all. I'd like to get a couple but I have no idea where to look for them, besides eBay or trying to find the mp3s on various fileshare networks. I'd imagine that most of them are very rare now anyway, being from 'back in the olden days'... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

I have some live stuff u haven't mentioned. I've had this since the early eightes.

I have the Agora, Cleveland 6/14/76 with this one it has "don't use me" aka "don't abuse me"
    Oslo Norway 6/22, 78 with vicky blue
    Hollywood confidential the 2nd runaways
    only one song "on suburban lawns"
    and live at the starwood, L.A. 9-13-76 (vynil)
    it has a song "c'mon everybody" not sure if it's
    something else.

I also have them with Mickey Steele at Fast Freddy's room '75. You can buy that on Cd.

I almost threw this stuff away just recently.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Most fo the unreleased stuff is still property of Mercury (Universal) records. As far as I know, there are no plans to release them.
    Since the band does not get paid for bootlegs, most are pulled off e bay by Blackheart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast