Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rw,

You took a lot of crap as hospitality chick at the galaxy. I know first hand. I worked security there from May 02 thru sept 02. Maria, the hospitality girl when i was there, really put up with a lot from these "rock stars" who cant sell out a 1200 seat venue, but think that they deserve to have all the brown m&m's removed from the candy dish like the famous van halen stories you may have heard. I always said "hey buddy, sell this place out, then we can talk". Ive seen shows there were there were more people on the guest list than people who bought tickets and the band members think they are bon jovi.

---steve

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You know what?? I have done hospitality for a LOT of years, and I've only had ONE bad experience--and of course, it was at the Galaxy!!

Damn SR-71-- they THOUGHT they were God's gift--and they only played to like 50 people!! I can handle the no-tip thing, that's not a biggie, but a damn 'Thank You' wouldn't have cost them anything.. I got nothing, and then, they even had the nerve to treat me like shit. But, oh, Paybacks are SO MUCH FUN!!

Their gig at the Galaxy was the last show before they started opening for Bon Jovi--it's just too bad that I've been friends with Tico Torres since 7600 Farenheit came out- cause I was given an all access lammy, and trucked my sorry butt into SR-71's dressing room where I proceeded to give that band a piece of my mind--they only THOUGHT they got away easy the night before!!! I couldn't say anything at the club, because I had to be nice there, but I couldn't get in trouble if I wasn't at the club when I said my peace.. Hee Hee.. So I told them that in my 20 years of working with bands and crews, that I had never witnessed a band that was so damn rude in my life, and I hoped they enjoyed the ride so far, because their music sucked and that I hoped that they got treated like shit on their way back down to playing in their garage again--just like they had treated me that night.

Poor band tried to have me thrown out-- and Bon Jovi's security told them that I was a guest of the headliner, and they could NOT throw me out, as I had done nothing wrong!! Let me tell you, I had a GREAT conversation later that night with Tico and security!! And I see my 'prediction' came out--that band has done NOTHING since they opened for Bon Jovi...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

rw,

amazing, how funny!!!! Did Bobby, the mgr., work there when you did? if so, you remember him probably. well, while i was there, he was shitcanned because he was skimming the tills, the tip jars, and the security's tips. Me and the other security guys were getting tipped out like 8 bucks each after club rubber clean up and after he was canned, we were getting almost 20 apiece. Everyone was fighting to barback after he left because their tip out was 100% more everytime.

I have heard good stories about other bands who give you massive tips. I know that the Galaxy's personal buddies the REv, Dick Dale, Kings X, and Johnny Winter all come back like every year because they like to play there and they give good tips for you "hospitality" girls.

I cant begin to tell you how funny it was to get a headliner in there that could not even sell 50 seats, then walk through there like they were big rock star gods. we always just laughed because we never even had to stand by the backstage door because nobody gave a rats ass about sneakng back there anyways.

-----steve

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My biggest tip at the Galaxy from an artist?? Aside from the offers to go out on tour (there were 3 of those!!) I was given $100 from Little Feat... Most of the tips I got were about $50..

I won't go into what SD tips THEIR hospitality people(it's MUCH more!!!)

I remember Bobby. I actually LIKED Bobby, most of the time, at least. I had a feeling I was being ripped off sometimes, cause once I finally got the 'new' girl trained, they asked me to expedite food from the kitchen, and we were supposed to get tipped out.. hello-- you sell OVER 350 dinners, I know how much the girls made, I work my ass off, and you're telling me that the girls only tipped me $25???

Yeah, uh huh..

Was John still holding the middle tables on a sold out night and playing "maitre d'" and getting $100+ for them when you worked there??

<font color="#FFFF00" size="1">[ March 21, 2003 06:56 PM: Message edited by: rw ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Memories, well, im having bad memory flashbacks now. i remember the monkees sold out 2 shows one night (one at 7 and one at 10). I show up thinking i would have a cake night holding fort at stage left or at acres keeping the old farts away from Davey. I punch in and immediately start expediting food and did it the entire first show and bussed tables for like 3 hours. I remember that night. I worked my ass off and remember got like 10 bucks for a tip. I know Bobby was greasing his palms with my sweat.

Club Rubber was like christmas bonus for me, especially VIP. People would float me 50's and sometimes more to get upstairs. Or, id kick somebody out and once outside, i would charge em to get back in if they promised to behave. It was the clean up aftarwards that was the bitch. remember that place smelled terrible and we had to "rake" the floors there was so much trash and empty bottles. Damn, we'd close at 2, but be there to 7 cleaning up. That was the worst part.

So, you "trained" the new girl, then was canned once she knew her duty? Maybe she was willing to go that extra mile for the bands that most descent girls wouldnt. Id see her go up to the green room, turn around and glance back, then close the door, and would not see her for like 30 minutes. I think she wore knee pads under her fishnets.

---steve

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nope.. I quit when I found out that I had trained her, yet they were paying her MORE per shift than I was getting.. and she had NO CLUE how to do it until I trained her. I interviewed her, I trained her, and I helped her when she had more than one big band and a couple local openers..

Sorry, if I'm gonna train someone, I sure as hell better be making more money than they are, especially when I've worked there longer..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234