Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="4"><font face="Times New Roman">The Underpants by Steve Martin

I don't have the time to do a full-out review, as I'm transcribing a Green Hornet radio episode from 1947 where Brit Reid learns he's a grand-nephew of the Lone Ranger (really), so let's hit the highlights:

The Underpants at GreenMan Theatre Troupe is an extremely entertaining production. If you're reading plays to consider at your theatre, this one plays funnier than it reads.

A couple of the performances at the beginning were pushing it, but I prefer that to not going far enough; they found a comfort level after the laughs started coming in.

Kate Soczka as the reluctant celibate Louise was hysterical. The high point is when a man's hand is creeping up her thigh, and her face goes through about twelve distinct expressions in around five seconds, ranging from shocked terror to three different phases of orgasm.

The cast as a whole plays as a team, with some very sharp timing - especially from Matt Cooney, who plays a mild but stubborn little barber.

I've worked with David Soria when he produced GreenMan's Waiting for Godot, which I directed. I haven't seen his direction before. It's fabulous work. The script is a very talky piece and Soria keeps it moving. Very sharp stuff; and the kind of ensemble work that the cast does only happens when the director puts it there. The cast had the talent; the director shaped it into a whole.

You've got one more weekend. GreenMan's Underpants has some huge laughs. If you know me personally, you know how persnickety I am about comedy. This is worth the money. Go see it. Some really good teamwork, with Star Comic power from Soczka.

Information from GreenMan's website:

In Steve Martin's hilarious version, Theo Maske has a problem: his wife Louise has an unexpected wardrobe malfunction in public. Mortified, Theo is determined to keep Louise out of sight to prevent a scandal. Meanwhile, Theo and Louise are trying to rent out a spare room in their apartment. And after Louise's accident, they have a long line of applicants who may be interested in more than just a room to rent.

Performances of The Underpants are Fri, Sat, Sun from April 18 through May 4 at the Elmhurst Masonic Lodge, 103 Arthur St., Elmhurst, at the corner of York and Arthur just south of downtown Elmhurst. Fri and Sat shows are at 7:30, Sun at 3:00. Tickets are $15 and discounts are available for students and seniors.* Free parking is available. For more information call 630-464-2646.

*There is a service fee for credit card purchases.</font></font>

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 29, 2008 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Sgt. Bilko ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've heard a lot of good things about this theater group. Even my evil old ex-mother-in-law says good things about them, which is saying a lot. That hag doesn't give credit where its due unless it's pretty stellar, so they must be good.
    I even know their videographer. I'll have to check out a show.
    Your description of the virgin's 12 facial expressions alone makes the current production sound quite tempting ; )