Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Incarceration

  1. #1
    Dano
    Guest Dano's Avatar

    Lightbulb

    I sat in my cell, staring across the landscape. Barren, white, forbidding. No one had even tried to escape from the prison at Fulks Point (ISA) in its 150-year history, not even during the revolution in 2365. There was no fence, no gate, no guard towers. The prison staff and Europan government officials who employed them figured that anyone foolish enough to escape deserved what they got.

    I had spent roughly 14 years here. In that time, I had exhausted every appeal available to me. I was now in for the long haul. Approximately 10 years remained on my sentance for possession of narcotics. There were times when I believed the tremendous lie that had been built up around my life. There were times when I spent hours writing letters to my parents, begging their forgiveness for my transgressions, only to realize later that there was no need.

    My parents had stuck by me, offering support, but as time passed, communication got less and less frequent. I now heard from them once a month, the first sunday of every month. The face-to-face contact was nice, but I could tell that the experience was painful for them, particularly my father, who had held up such great hopes for me and my career.

    My days mainly consisted of waking up, bathing, breakfast in the dining hall, meditation in my room, lunch, teaching a meditation and yoga class to my fellow inmates, dinner, and then an evening of reading in my cell until lights out.

    There were no shortage of books at Fulks, which I daily thanked the Universe for. I had read much about the history of religions and the impact they had had over the millenia. I was particularly interested (of course) in the teachings of Gloria Ruiz, the great teacher of Integration, bringing all forms of spirituality together.

    Raise Love. All Stories Are True.

    I also read a lot of fiction, and in particular enjoyed books from the mid-to-late 20th century in a genre labeled "Sci-Fi / Fantasy." Wonderful stories, fantastic really, they gave my imagination flight and kept me hopeful in what lay ahead of me.

    In particular was a novel about a man who was born on Mars and then brought to Terra by scientists. The author was obviously some sort of prophet, since he added to my lexicon the phrase "Thou art God." An astounding example of unity, particularly for such a willfully ignorant time in human history.

    Among the 500+ inmates at Fulks, I had certainly made some freinds, some very good ones. Almost without exception, they were serving time for terrible crimes, violent and appalling, but in time they all softened, became more human, more humane, more willing to let life happen rather than want to take it.

    I was the only inmate not held for a violent crime, and it showed. I had never participated in a fight, had never caused any trouble of any kind. I was seen as a model prisoner, and was often used by prison officials to acclimate new inmates. I had taught classes for years now, and had the run of the facility for all intents and purposes.

    I had given up on being released long ago. After my last appeal, I concentrated on what I could accomplish inside, and then went about it. No sense of wasting the life I had been given just because I was kept in a cage. The Independent State of Antarctica and its jointly-operated prison (with Europa) had little to offer besides hope, but I always kept my eye on it, made sure it was never out of sight.

    **********

    more soon

    ------------------
    Raise Love / Om Namaha Shivaya / All Stories Are True / My goal's Beyond

    "Knowing that you're being heard, knowing that your call is being responded to, regardless of what the setting is, that's the whole point." -- William Hooker

    dano

    [This message has been edited by Dano (edited September 01, 2000).]

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner JaceSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,898
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I like this Dano. I don't remember if I posted anything about the first part. Keep up with it, I want to find out what happens to this guy.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Branflakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    2,290
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I like this one too. smile

    ------------------
    Branflakes, the ninja lesbian milk getter tease.
    The one called "brain" and "brainflakes" and....
    Officially declared "cute". Declares the bunny and Ersby and Wiloe "cute".
    "One thing I've never been is straight, dear girl." Katchoo, SiP
    "If ever you need naughty good things, just let me know..."-Starkyld
    "With you around, Bran? It would take Starky less than a second before she is in trouble."-Fenix
    I'm tired of the silent majority. Silence equals death.
    Life is what you make it.
    Chatter Box

  4. #4
    Dano
    Guest Dano's Avatar

    Lightbulb

    3 Sept 2426

    Mr. Lafontaine,

    I am a student at the University of Oceana at Sydney, majoring in philosophy and religious studies. I recently came across your case cross-referenced with my reading of the works of Gloria Ruiz. I find your plight both sad and fascinating.

    Of course, standards of free speech are tremendously different here in Oceana than they are in Europa, so my studies have never come under attack from the government as yours were. I am curious about you and how you have managed to keep your spirits up during your long interment.

    Friends of mine have organized a group that we hope one day may build itself up strongly enough to help political prisoners such as yourself either be released from prison, or not be imprisoned in the first place. We are staging fundraisers of several kinds, and soon will be allowed to broadcast our views to a larger audience via TransVision.

    But what we really want to express, since although we have hope, we also have realistic realization of our own immediate success, that we admire and hold you up as an example of how one should live, simply and plainly. You are a beacon through the fog for us, and we hope to one day achieve what you have in your spiritual life.

    Raise Love, All Stories Are True.

    Sasha Dominguez
    President, Sydney Students for Freedom

    **********

    Transmission recieved.
    Fulks Point Penal Facility Recommendation...
    Edit for content...
    Inmate 40975 (Lafontaine)...
    Editing process complete...

    **********

    3 Sept 2426

    Mr. Lafontaine,

    I am a student at the University of Oceana at Sydney, majoring in philosophy and religious studies.

    Sasha Dominguez

    **********

    The tech working the mailroom at Fulks point re-read the transcript about to be sent to Lafontaine. Unfortunately, the missive now had little or no content of any sort.

    He stared at it for a few seconds, also taking a look at the body of the original transcript. Unfortunately, there was little else he could salvage while still keeping the incindiary nature of the letter away from the inmate.

    As he and several other techs had over the years with the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of letters Lafontaine had recieved over the years, he simply tossed it into the incinerator. What Lafontaine didn't know would not hurt him.

    [This message has been edited by Dano (edited September 03, 2000).]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member NecroFlash's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 1999
    Posts
    48
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you better continue writing this, otherwise i might harm you... wink

    yeah, i like it a lot. more, please.


  6. #6
    HB Forum Owner JaceSan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,898
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Yesh!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •