Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: favourites

  1. #1
    Inactive Member thrutheeyesofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2002
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This may not be (at first anyway) the most intelligent of posts, but just to get an idea of preferences etc. who is everyone's favourite poet(s) and author(s)??? favourite poems/collections/books???

    I just find it interesting to read people's work and then find out who influences them, or who they enjoy.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Generalkaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 20th, 2001
    Posts
    67
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, my favorite poet is a good friend of mine named Nellie Bridge. She's the best poet I've ever met. Besides her, I guess it would be a three-way tie between John Keats, T.S. Eliot and W.S. Merwin. Buy Nellie Bridge if you ever get the chance. She's amazing.

    ------------------
    Fetch me my blue fright wig, that I may be handsome when I unleash my wrath.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member sarafinamable's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    37
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    my favorite author is Francesca Lia Block. i don't know if anyone has heard of her, her books are labeled under 'young adult fiction' (i think). but her description, imagery and ideas are so amazing and unique. i love her style b/c it is so much her own.

    ------------------
    "this is life not heaven, you don't have to be perfect."
    Gia
    "Our love was comfortable and so broken in"
    John Mayer
    http://www.onemoredrink.moonfruit.com
    First Name Basis is a great, little known band (so far), check out their website

  4. #4
    Inactive Member thrutheeyesofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2002
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My favourite poet is Edwin Morgan, a Scottish poet and translator, (I think General would appreciate him for some reason, check him out) although i am an Eliot devotee and can do Keats 'n' Yeats as well, and maybe a bit of Coleridge.

    Favourite author is Martin Amis... what can i say but superb!

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2001
    Posts
    2,688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Well.. hmm.... I can't say as I've really read a lot of any particular poet...

    I dabble a little here, a little there... I can't ever remember names really... Lord Byron I think is someone whom I kinda liked...

    I just kinda glance around, read what tricks my trigger...



    ------------------
    As miserable as life may be I hold it pretty precious...

    If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.
    Word And Voice
    Motocross Fanatics
    General Philosophy

  6. #6
    Inactive Member machinery's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2001
    Posts
    631
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've always be into the beat generation....whether kerouac or ginsberg....

    I'm a fan of Scott F. Fitzgerald's work,
    e.e. cummings, Lee Ranaldo and Jim Morrison...

    and I love Thom Yorke's lyrics....

    that's about it...

    ------------------
    "ashtray says you were up all night."

  7. #7
    Inactive Member thrutheeyesofme's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2002
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    totally with you machinery on Yorke/Fitzgerald/Cummings (the Great Gatsby is possibly my singular favourite book actually)
    You should check out Morgan (i mentioned him above) some of his stuff is pretty experimental but he has such good vision, like the man e.e. - i reckon you would enjoy (although i like him so much i probably think everyone will.)
    Has anyone else read any Martin Amis (particularly Money:A Suicide Note which i think is stunning and contender for the Great Gatsby's crown although so different!)
    would like to hear your opinions..


    ------------------

  8. #8
    Inactive Member crazy a's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 1999
    Posts
    1,237
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Charles Bukowski. John Fante. Before that, I was really into Jim Morrison.

    Ummm...Henry Rollins, Stephen King, Clive Barker...can't think of any others right off the bat.

    ------------------
    "what's jail?"
    "everything's jail."

    "Texas? What's a 'Texas'?"
    --Spongebob Squarepants

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •