Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation

everyone go here and watch the movie.

come back and tell me what you think about it philosophically.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It is obviously a video to promote safe sex.

------------------
    "Go big or Go home Baaabbbyyy."

Theo - Road Rules 9

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

why is that? explain what you mean.

------------------
    General Philosophy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Was this video created before or after Sept. 11, 2001?

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

before.....

....why?

------------------
    General Philosophy

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Safe sex? I saw this as a video to promote nothing but giving into fear. The child never faced his fears, and for not facing his fears *of turning around* he never died. Why didn't he die you might ask? Because he never truly "lived" so to speak. He never did what scared him, never looked at his fears. *nods*
    My hypothesis.

------------------
    As miserable as life may be I hold it pretty precious...

If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Or maybe it's a video to keep kids off Crack cuz that's what he looks like he's on, and he just had one helluva trip.

------------------

If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Am I the only one that has thoughts on this video!?? Geeze, not even Shat posted her thoughts...damnit.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hannibal:
    Safe sex? I saw this as a video to promote nothing but giving into fear. The child never faced his fears, and for not facing his fears *of turning around* he never died. Why didn't he die you might ask? Because he never truly "lived" so to speak.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I might be able to expand on this.

I basically concur, Hannibal.

But, I don't think that this video is talking about sex education or drugs in particular, but about standing up to, and facing your fears, and standing up to what one thinks could be horribly fearful. Basically, one can substitute the word 'dying' with the word 'living' as Hannibal correctly mentions.

By not facing your fears, and by not looking straight into the eyes of that which you think is fearful, horrible, unbearable, spooky, you are left 'afraid' of facing any thing which you think closely resembles these fears; you are left with a future fear, which will not even allow you to face things which you should actually face and get over with.

This artificial fear will not allow you to open your eyes and experience the real truths and reality of existence.

I do not remember the exact words, but if any of you know about the life of a Japanese film maker Akira Kurosawa, you might know about his childhood experience, and the above example is exactly what happened to him during world-war two, and the ?face up to your fears? is (I think) a Zen or a Taoist teaching, thousands of years old.

When Kurosawa was about 10~12 years old, he was taken to Hiroshima (or Nagasaki, I don't remember it well) by his elder brother who was about 17 then. At the first glance of those horribly decaying bodies of humans and animals, Kurosawa closed his eyes, his brother asked him to open his eyes and said - "If you do not look straight into the face of fear, it will haunt you for the rest of your life, and you will not be able to face even the most trivial challenges of life. Face the worst un-seeable and know it, so that you are no more afraid of facing the unknown"

He open his eyes, and although he was afraid then, later on, his mentality was shaped into becoming a deep thinker, which opened up his mind, and was able to face many difficult challenges in life, for he had seen, faced, and lived through the worst.

The above video shows that although the first crabs were terrible to face, but if the boy had faced them, he would not be afraid of "techno" dance, which although being strange, was nothing to be afraid of, and thereby led him to being afraid and not experiencing something new and different, which would basically not be harmful.

Kurosawa was a person who came up off beat themes, and expresses his experiences of childhood horror of world-war two in the final scenes of his film 'Kagemusha'-The Shadow Warrior, based on the life of a certain warlord during the time of Samurai warrior rule in Japan. The movie was financed and presented by his life long admirers Mr. George Lucas and Mr. Francis Ford Coppola, who were present during most of the shooting while Kurosawa directed, and consider him a brilliant director of the past century.

He was also a philosopher in a sense, but did not leave any complete book of his experiences, people are now trying to collect and understand him by interviewing others whom he spoke to, and publish it in chronological order. I have seen a TV documentary on his life where many people were being interviewed. I had already seen most of his movies, and came to know him better through the documentary.

some earlier interesting movies being:

'Seven Samurai' (Most of Clint Eastwood's earlier, and western movies, were based on this movie- Fistfull of dollars, Good Bad and the Ugly, For a few dollars more, etc.)

'Ran' (pronounced 'Raan', as in 'Kaan' in James 'Caan' - Movie based on the Code and Morals of a Sumurai warrior. BTW, Kurosawa was of a Samurai descend and was brought up according to the strict rules of a Samurai Code by his farther. His elder brother, who eventually could not marry a certain girl, committed Harakiri along wiht his girlfriend around the age of 26. Kurosawa was the last person to see him alive when his elder brother waved him goodbye, stopping him again as if trying to say something, and said nothing and said goodbye again. The next morning, Kurosawa had to witness a bloody body of his brother.

'Red Beard' 'Yojimbo' and 'Dreams' - other off beat movies.

I hope this helps to widen ones horizons, and helps one to face fears and eventually get rid of them, and experience the richness of life to its fullest extent.

------------------
    ....just IMHO though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

(*wondering*: Shatoushka? Is that you?)