Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, here goes, my first attempt to a post in times..

maybe this article would be interesting, it's about quantum teleportation, effectively, we're getting near to the point where you can just take something and 'teleport' it somewhere else.
    http://www.dfi.aau.dk/amo/qoptics/home.htm http://dsc.discovery.com/news/reu/20.../teleport.html

Now that's a nice thing but i'm wondering about the destructive potential of this technology, you could teleport a nuke, an army or even a part of the sun into a country you don't like.
    maybe teleport a big rock from the moon right on top of your enemy's capital.

Then i started wondering and at what point it will stop if you realize that with every new generation of technology the destructive potential also increases in leaps.
    sometimes i wonder why we're still researching..
    this technology could destroy the world in ways no atomic bomb could and there are many things being researched right now that could change what it means to be human.
    Well, thinking about all of this, i just wonder, what is the reason we keep looking onward, instead of being content.

personally i must add i'm a complete technophile, i like it, and i do feel that we should research and investigate, but why?

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

TastinGood

Thank God. No more waiting 30+ minutes on a delivered pizza.

------------------
    "If Lincoln had thought being the President was such a longshot, we'd have nobody's picture on the one dollar bill" -Arthur Fonzerelli (The Fonz)

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Tastin - obviously your pizzaria's suck. That would explain why you and Ek3 gotta stick together. Most pizza places offer 30 mins or less!

Anyways-- Zela --
    I'm know not if you are familiar with an age old scientist by the name of Nikoli (sp?) Tesla - However, he had figured out, or was at least in the process of figuring out, how to just as you say, in the 1920's!
    I have about 6 or 7 books on the man, and although I haven't read all of them yet, he was working with teleporting things before anyone else had even imagined it, and was getting very close. I do believe it was the Philidelphia experiment where they attempted to move a ship from one place to another, and succeeded. However the men aboard the ship were molded INTO the metal. A horiphic site indeed. And supposedly it was kept very hush hush. *reaches into his brain for details* something like that, but i'm not sure. I can't really remember the specifics. The weird thing is, after his death, the government went in and destroyed ALLL of his research. Simply because he was the only one that understood it. It was far to advanced for anyone else at that time.
    Tesla was a rival to Edison. Edison was a user of DC power, Tesla, invented the AC power which we all know and love today wink
    He invented quite a few things, which were stolen by other "inventors".
    If your interested in teleportation, you should read some of his works, some of his stuff he was doing back then, is equivalent to what we are just figureing out today.
    Pretty interesting I think.
    He blacked out the whole of Colarado springs once. He used to sit in a room with 10,000 volts *I think* of electricity zapping around him... *I have a picture of it* to do his studies. He stood on a platform in front of Mark Twain, and someone else I can't remember, and had them flip the switch. Nothing happened. They turned the switch off, then he got down, put a bunnty on the same platform, flipped the switch and within an instant, the bunny was instantly fried by thousands of volts of electricity.
    He was magician as well, able to make flames appear in his hand and hold them there.
    He was quite extraordinary.
    Wow, this is a long reply. Anyways..
    a little info for you all smile

------------------
    As miserable as life may be I hold it pretty precious...

If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.

[This message has been edited by Hannibal (edited October 01, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey Hannibal, you wouldn't believe I've been aboard the Eldridge!

------------------
    Never onlyne

Senior Hostboard Member Hannibal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Zela was nice enough to give me this link. so here it is for all parties more interested in Tesla, a brief bio indeedy!
    <a href=http://www.frank.germano.com/nikolatesla.htm>Click Here</a>
    ------------------
    As miserable as life may be I hold it pretty precious...

If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I wil write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always, I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you.

[This message has been edited by Hannibal (edited October 01, 2001).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

but enought about mr tesla, i just wonder, why do we always want to find new boundaries, even though they can be quite frightening?

------------------
    Sure the universe is a great place, but if it wasn't here, no-one would miss it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would propose a simple reason *if I may interject so* - this being - because we can. Why do athletes in any dangerous sport push the limits? To be better than the ones before them. There are those people who will push until they either succeed with a breakthrough and make their mark, or die trying. We want perfection... I think it's just more of a reason that we need to, than anything.
    Idle hands are the devils workshop.

------------------
    We can't decide how or when we'll die, but we can decide how we live.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking

Yes! Dragondream, though you have always preferred asking questions to answering them, I must tell that answering IS your forte!

------------------
    Never onlyne

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, at this point, then, What is the urge that makes us want to try it.
    i mean, from evolutionary viewpoint this must be a very stupid thing to have, if you for instance live on a high cliff,
    or if you live in a place where one misstep could be fatal.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

At this point, well, for me, it would mearly be the excitement of it all, to say "I may be able to" so that when you do, you know that you have beaten the odds, and in some way have been properly rewarded, be it, with your life, or with a great advancement in technology. I think that is what pushes us to strive for that next level, it's that internal drive saying "I might be able to..."
    and then the body saying "let's try it."
    After that, it's all either making it, or breaking it. biggrin
    In my opinion that is...

------------------
    We can't decide how or when we'll die, but we can decide how we live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast