Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: abortion debate- has anyone heard of her??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The abortion scenario that gets me the most is incest cases. Those are probably not going to be healthy babies. I'm big on quality of life, and I don't think it's fair to that baby to make him or her live a life of suffering.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I couldnt agree more on the quality of life issue. As I dont believe in a higher power that controls every detail of this earth, I dont think a severly handicapped-mentally and physcially-child was born in that condition because 'god intended it that way'. Sh*t happens, sometimes really bad and that s*cks but thats life. And a child from incest will most certainly be severly affected in some way.

And this whole concept of 'permission from parents' thing for abortion also throws me. Im bringing this up because incest is often cited for preventing this law. If a girl has to recieve permission for an abortion, than theoretically, couldnt her parents make her get one? I know that is exactly why the governor here in Michigan vetoed that law.

ETA: BTW, if I was put into that horrible situation of being raped and pregnant, from this end I can tell you I would have an abortion. Although I truly believe no one should make such assumptions either for themselves or someone else until they are in the exact same situation, on any issue for that matter. But from the logic and opinions I have now Im pretty sure I would not carry the fetus to full term. To me that is extending the rape and its consequences and aftermath. But then, I have never been in that situation and hope that I never will be and I have extreme compassion and sympathy for any woman that has been regardless of her choice.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 17, 2005 01:49 AM: Message edited by: *shortie* ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by StarTrekCaptain:
    Yes, I don't think people should have sex until they are married. I don't think there's anyhting wrong with birth control, but if you are using birth control and you STILL get pregnant, then IMO God really wanted that baby. Just my opinion, that's all.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK, I have to ask; please don't shoot me for it.

What if you were raped in some back alley? Or say you have a little sister about ten who's molested by some dear family friend?

And you or her gets pregnant?

Would you expect your sister to give birth to the child of the monster who molested her?

And yes, I realize there is adoption, but please - you still have to feel that baby move inside you for several months. You're responsible for it before it's born.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about others, but if it were me, I'd give birth to that innocent little baby. It's not that baby's fault his or her father was a rapist.

Hopefully that will never be an issue, though.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

djsnjones, will you deliver my kids if I ever have any? As a soon-to-be nursing student, I'm fascinated.

And as a student who just completed her year of anatomy and physiology, I'm so proud of myself for figuring out the BP/salt thing! [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] Dr. Sloane would be SO pleased....

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RAPE CASES:

Yes without a doubt. I have thought about thsi before, and I don't believe in punishing a child for the sins of the father, but besides that, I think I would find it hard to hate a baby that was growing inside me.
    For one thing, it may be the rapist's baby, but its also MY baby- half of it is my genes, my ancestry, my heritage.
    Secondly, even though I can't say for sure of course because I am not in that position, I think the way that I am, I would probably tend to think of it as God's baby that He gave me. Not the rapist's baby, not even my baby, but GOD'S BABY that for soem reaosn He allowed me to have and bring into this world for a purpose.
    I think every child that is born is meant to be here for a purpose.
    If a baby is born because of rape then its a tragedy for the mother, but maybe God needed those genes put together to create a baby that would fulfill a purpose He had in mind.
    Or soemthing.
    I'm not condoning rape I'm just pointing out that every baby concieved was MADE BY GOD and was put here FOR A PURPOSE that ONLY HE KNOWS.

INCEST CASES:

As for cases of incest, where the baby would probably not be healthy and therefore "its not fair to make him/her live if they won't be healthy",
    Well who should get to play God and choose?
    I sure wouldn't want someone else deciding if I get to live or die!

Shouldn't the baby atleast be given the CHANCE? Shouldn't it be allowed to decide for itself?
    Instead of somebody else playing God and deciding whetehr or not its life is worth living?

This makes me angry because I think there is something SO WRONG with society if we are going around deciding whose life is worth living and whose life isn't. It does sound like a Hitler thing.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 17, 2005 01:46 PM: Message edited by: StarTrekCaptain ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know- have you ever fallen pregnant due to rape or incest?

I have. I didn't have an abortion, but I can definitely see why someone might. Please don't judge other people's situations unless you've been in them. You could never know what it feels like unless you've been there yourself.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Remember, Hitler was also the one who condemned gay men and lesbians. He had them put in concentration camps and exterminated them right along with Jews, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Roma, and the handicapped.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dont forget some catholics were in there too [img]tongue.gif[/img] Basically, anyone who wasnt mainstream Protestant Christian and 100% white.

Inactive Member StarTrekCaptain's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, nothing Hitler did was right, was it? Of course not.

As for Hitler killing gay people, murder is wrong people! Just because I think its wrong to be gay that I am okay with Hitler killing gays? Of course not. Murdering people is wrong too!

(That also goes along with what I said about people choosing if other people should live or die...nobody has that right but God.
    Yes I believe it is wrong to be gay, but that doesn't mean it is my right to decide that gay people should die for it.
    I am not one of those "Christians" you see bombing abortion clinics...we may know that something is wrong but that doesn't mean we get to decide people should die for it.

But I'm just saying it reminds me of a Hitler thing to say "hmm, is this person's life worthwhile? they won't be physically perfect, so no! lets just kill them".

Handmaid, if you had read my post more carefully you would have seen that I specifically said, "even though I can't say for sure because I have never been in that position".

So, what I said in that post was what I BELIEVE... And as I said, I cannot say what I would do definitely, BUT that was the way the that I imagine I would react to a situation based on my feelings and my belief system.
    I know myself pretty well and I know how I generally react to things based on my beliefs. If I wa sin that position, I relaly doubt that my decision would go against my belief system. I wouldn't make a decision that went against everything I stand for.

As for "please don't judge other people's situations" well I am not judging the people themselves but yes I guess I am judging their decisions because in my opinion in ANY situation it is very, very wrong to take the life of a baby that way. You just can't condone that....Roe v wade just sickens me...its like "okay goody now we have the right to deicde who lives and who dies"..

Oh by the way Im also against capital punishment. As I said, we can judge the sin (like murderes have to go to jailto protect the public), but we don't decide life and death for people (we shouldn't kill people because they killed someone else). Its just wrong.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 17, 2005 02:37 PM: Message edited by: StarTrekCaptain ]</font>

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast