Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree. The Bible is particulary vague on the subject. The relevant passage in Leviticus reads:

Leviticus 18:22

"'You shall not lie with a man, as with a woman. That is detestable. (WEB)

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. (ASV)

You may not have sex relations with men, as you do with women: it is a disgusting thing. (BBE)

And thou shalt not lie with mankind as one lieth with a woman: it is an abomination. (DBY)

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. (KJV)

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. (WBS)

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination. (JPS)

And with a male thou dost not lie as one lieth with a woman; abomination it 'is'. (YLT)

As you can see, the passage differs by translation. No one translation is inherently "right" because no one speaks the original language anymore. It seems quite clear that "mankind" refers to males and "womankind" to females.

Of course, this passage makes clear that homosexuality between men is "abominable" but also offers recourse- as does virtually every sin in Leviticus. You can sacrifice an animal to "get rid of" the sin. The sins listed, are quite franky, outdated. How many of us condemn football players or pig farmers for touching a pig's skin?

As Christians, we are taught that it is the Spirit, NOT Works, which lead to salvation. Jesus removes the requirement to follow the complex law of the Torah (which is where the restriction on homosexuality emerges) replacing it with faith. By this way of thinking, homosexuality no longer bars the individual from salvation.

All of that interpretation, however, is just that. Interpretation. Different Christian groups and sects interpret the Bible differently. All believe their way is the correct one. No one actually knows which is the right one. I choose to leave according to my own interpretation of the Bible, and you to yours. That's fine with me.

What is not fine, however, is when religious beliefs impinge upon constitutional protections. A Constitutional ban on civil rights for gay men and lesbians and the elimination of Roe v. Wade pander to the desires of the religious. They violate religious tenets- but not all Americans are Christians. Nor should they be.

I believe that if you think abortion is wrong- don't have one. If you think homosexuality is wrong- don't live in a same-sex relationship. It's not your place to judge others or condemn them, especially when you don't know how God or Jesus felt on either issue. All we know on either issue is commentary by others. They may have been inspired by the Holy Spirit, but so might the prophets of other religions that conflict with your own.

Jesus taught love, not hate. He hoped that the smallest, most marginalized person would find salvation. I believe in my heart that Jesus never intended Christians to turn right around and marginalize others.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 17, 2005 03:55 PM: Message edited by: The Handmaid ]</font>

Sanguinarius

All of those interpretations of the same scripture are quite interesting. I myself stick with the King James. Because it is the oldest version. Therefore IMO the least to have been changed in translation.

That being said, I also know it was changed and tweeked by ol' James himself.

I think I shall say, "I believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly;......."

I also believe in modern prophets upon the earth to help with our understanding, and to serve in guidance, in these latter days.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You are right that some of the sins mentioned in Leviticus are said to be ok in the New Testament (like eating pigs). Being gay is not one of them. Read Romans 1:18-32. That is the New Testament.

What StarTrekCaptain said is right... we are not to condone sin. We are supposed to hate the sin and not the sinner. I do not hate gay people. I hate the sin of being gay.

I do not hate people who have abortions...i hate the sin of murder.

As for "not imposing our religion on others"...some cultures say it is ok to kill 2 people in one family because 1 member of their family kills a member of another family...our laws are already based on Christian values.

As well they should be. God's law applies to everyone...whether they believe in Him or not. There is always free will, yes. People can break the law and sin all they want. WIthout laws, we would have anarchy, and without God's laws, there would be no state laws.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Also: that parable about the one without sin casting the first stone. I'm not throwing stones as I'm not trying to hurt anyone nor am I hating anyone who is sinning...just the SIN.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yes, but by being against Roe v Wade or same sex marriage, you are casting stones.

If Roe v Wade gets overturned, then women won't stop having abortions- they'll start having dangerous illegal ones. Abortion is actually a very safe procedure. Yes, there are complications sometimes, but it is still a medical procedure. However, if abortion is illegal and doctors can't perform them- then some women will get seriously hurt trying to perform them themselves.

If same sex marriage is banned, then children of gay parents can't get health insurance. Families need the protections that legal status provides. No one is asking churches to perform gay marriages. If a religious group is against them, they can refuse. But banning sex marriage hurts people.

We may not throw rocks at peoples' heads anymore, but we definitely cast those stones in other ways. Telling someone that their true love and happy family is a sin is casting a stone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Teri--welcome! I'm glad we are sisters in Christ.
    Post only what you feel comfortable with. You are very welcome here, though.

Love in Christ,
    Tra

monimarine

I was raised in a southern Baptist home thanks to my stepmother. As a kid I went to Jerry Falwell's church, and his private elementary school. There was alot of "do as I say, not as I do" behavior among that whole period of my life and I struggle now with my beliefs because of it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Who is Jerry Falwell?

Hope your experiences as a child did not sour you on Christianity. The thing to remember is that even though God's followers are not perfect, He is.

God Bless,
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually MOST are. However, from what my Husband said, in Catholicism, it is passed down from the father-in Judiasm, it is the mother.

So well-we are at an impass [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Jordyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Tra:

As for "not imposing our religion on others"...some cultures say it is ok to kill 2 people in one family because 1 member of their family kills a member of another family...our laws are already based on Christian values.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Are they? Because I thought our laws in many states are something to the effect of, "kill people and we'll kill you (gas, lethal injection, etc.)."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast