Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had PA with my first baby - born 2 1/2 years ago. DH and I weren't trying for another, but just found out I'm expecting this week (5 wks). I'm so glad I found this forum, but now I'm worried - I never had scar tissue removed or anything...does this mean an increased chance of miscarriage? I had one miscarriage and D&C prior to my first child. Probably the cause of the PA. With mine, I delivered c-section as I had a diagnosed previa. The dr. was able to remove the placenta but had to do a lot of tying off of blood vessels, cautherizing, etc. I actually was pretty lucky - had to have a few units of blood transfused and one night in ICU, but went home after 3 days in hospital.

My main concern now is what I have to be worried about this pregnancy - obviously I know the risk of accreta is high and will schedule a c-section with a possible hysterectomy, but what are the other possibilities and likelihoods? I can't seem to get any straight answers from the doctors on this...i.e., increta, percreta, miscarriage, etc...

Any info would be appreciated.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi there! Congratulations on your pregnancy!!! There are actually many possibilities for your outcome (barring other complications of course)....the best one, and the one we will hope and pray for, is that you will have a perfectly normal pregnancy and delivery.....the worst one is the possibility of placenta abruption which could occur if the placenta tries to attach where there is scar tissue and can't (which is the opposite of accreta). It is possible that you don't have any scar tisue....it is also possible that you have some scar tissue but the placenta will not attach anywhere near it. If the placenta attaches where there is scar tissue, you will probably either have another accreta or the possibility of abruption. Please make sure you are followed by a high risk ob and get ultrasounds on a regular basis. There is a great possibility that you have a totally healthy pregnancy but you are high risk and should be treated as such!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Thanks Jodi

I've recently moved to a new city and have been seen by a new OB - during my regular checkup she found a polyp (benign) on my cervix and removed it - could this be associated with the surgical procedure at delivery?

Also, I called to report the pregnancy and they made an appointment for approximately 8 weeks. Is there any reason I should ask to be seen before that?

Thanks again for your help and information...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the polyp. I don't necessarily see a reason why you should be seen earlier unless you start to develop some problems, but I would ask for an u/s right away.

Jodi

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

First, congratulations on your pregnancy.

I know I'm responding a little late, but wanted to share my recent experience. I had an accreta and hemorrhaged but avoided a hysterectomy and have been exploring the risks of a future pregnancy since I was diagnosed (about a year ago).

One thing I would say is that with an accreta in a past pregnancy, you may want to consider a high risk OB to manage your care. I had a consultation with a member of our hospital's High Risk Unit and I found it very reassuring to discuss how they would manage my care if I were pregnant. Getting in touch sooner rather than later can help you get on top of your fear. In addition to frequent ultrasounds, an MRI can help to pinpoint problems. They also had a clear way of communicating risks that I appreciated.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

Christy