Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Live From Florida:
    I'm trying to point out the contrast of two different groups - one who lives in a nice house with lights and air conditioning - and one down the road who had nothing to begin with and is now under water.

If you're someone who is under water and had nothing to begin with and you hear you were protected by a levee that wasn't as high as you were told - and the government knew it - it would be easy to see yourself as "marked."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yea, well 100 years ago my Grandparents came to this country, spoke no English and only owned the clothes on their backs. They lived in cold water tenements (NYC?s version of NO?s low areas) 2 generations later their Grand children are the ones with lights and living in the air conditioning.

It?s always easy to see yourself as marked when you have no ambition to be anything other then a welfare recipient.

As for the levee, that?s another issue that we can discuss off line.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well of course the wealthy areas are higher then the poor areas. NO is an old Southern City which like Charleston SC and Savannah GA and was subjected to yearly outbreaks of yellow fever so the wealthy lived on higher ground and the poor lived in the swamps.

Now I am sure your average none thinking liberal will say ?see these wealthy whites are raciest, they put the poor blacks in the swamp?. But the truth is that when these cities were founded most blacks were slaves and ether lived in the mansions on higher ground or they were out on the plantation. The poor that inhabited these swamps were mostly Irish or in the case of NO French Canadian (Creole)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It?s always easy to see yourself as marked when you have no ambition to be anything other then a welfare recipient.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think it's unfair to categorize everyone stuck in New Orleans that way.