Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sean Pa:
    Trying to shield anyone regardless of skin colour will surely end his career.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If only that was true. But the sad thing is that all the people in the country that feel they are entitled because of A, B or C will just continue to support him.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sluggo:
    gae - You will have to explain what you found "funny" about that statement. Do you mean -
    1. You found my impression of trav funny?
    2. The statement is true?
    3. Or do you actually think trav is better, smarter & knows everything?
    4. Or do you think that my impression of trav is right? Wrong? Or is this the impression trav wants others to have about him? I am confused.

I know that I'm not the smartest person but, I believe that I am smarter, in some areas, than trav. Not all, but some & I try never to give the impression that I think I am smarter than anyone. The same CANNOT be said for trav!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's the I'm better and smarter part she agrees with, I'm sure

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    trav - You AGAIN display your inability to read! I was not talking or directing my questions to YOU! I was asking gae!

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what you think! [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]
    Why don't you go back to your [img]graemlins/beer.gif[/img] ? [img]graemlins/thumbs_down.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sluggo, I laughed because I tell Trav all the time that he's a pompous ass.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gae - OK!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

After reading the comments on this thread, I was struck by Sean Pa's observation that he was amazed at how quickly "anarchy broke out"

Truth be told, so am I. This was a diaster of biblical proportions but it was also an opportunity to show the better side of our human nature. That we resorted to violence almost from the start shows what a pitiful sad state that we as Americans are in. Do not think for one minute that this breakdown is isolated to New Orleans. Given a disaster of similar maginitude, it would happen in any city in this country. The leaders of New Orleans didn't lead...they whined. The Mayor of NO especially. Govenor Blanco basically threatend to use the national guard to kill looters (not all that bad an idea if you ask me though...) but I didn't hear of any kind of leadership she provided to the state.

The people interviewed by the news outlets couldn't have been more pathetic. Not once did I hear things like: "Well this sucks but I'm alive and we'll be okay" No...instead all I heard was "When is Uncle Sam going to come rescue me"

Is that what our society has become? Are we so conditioned to nurse at the goverment teet that self reliance is a thing of the past? Generations as recent as the 1950's would be ashamed of us today.

There will be plenty of time to assess blame and I'm sure they will. But for now, this was not our finest hour.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Compared to the actions of Rudi and NYC citizens during 9/11, the mayor and citizens of NO are a joke.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Compared to the actions of Rudi and NYC citizens during 9/11, the mayor and citizens of NO are a joke.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While I agree that Rudi et al, are WAY better leaders, comparing the disasters is an apples to oranges kind of thing.

Who knows how New York and their leadership would have reacted had their city suddenly become submerged.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that our governement is a little more anxious to save New York (financial district) than Lousyana

<font color="#FFFFAA" size="1">[ September 06, 2005 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Jumper69 ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jumper69:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Compared to the actions of Rudi and NYC citizens during 9/11, the mayor and citizens of NO are a joke.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">While I agree that Rudi et al, are WAY better leaders, comparing the disasters is an apples to oranges kind of thing.

Who knows how New York and their leadership would have reacted had their city suddenly become submerged.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that our governement is a little more anxious to save New York (financial district) than Lousyana

<font color="#FFFFAA"><font size="1">[ September 06, 2005 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Jumper69 ]</font></font>
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree with your observation. If the New York metro area were 80% submerged, you better believe GWB would've been there IMMEDIATELY. Troops would've been there IMMEDIATELY.

For the magnitude of the disaster, 9-11 was confined to a relatively small area. New Orleans and Mississippi disaster areas are infinitely larger by comparison. No local governments are prepared to entirely handle disasters of such magnitude, and it IS ultimately the job of the president to ensure resources are made available.

In this regard, George Bush failed. Miserably.

Despite calling the Louisiana and Mississippi disaster areas BEFORE the hurricane hit, resources weren't even close to being deployed until days afterward.

And since Bush appointed the head of FEMA, Bush should be the first to fire the guy.

One thing that really, really steams me is that Bush goes on national television and so ignorantly tells everyone that no one could have predicted this disaster. Either he's really stupid or a liar.

This disaster has been predicted for years. They called for an evacuation because they knew the levees couldn't handle the storm. FEMA and anyone who knows hurricanes understood that New Orleans would someday be under water.

For those who want to absolve the pres of any responsibility, you should keep in mind that this IS a matter of national security.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

So...here's a hypothetical:

You're in charge. What does a rebuilt New Orleans look like? Does it get rebuilt? Like before of different?

If it were me....New Orleans gets rebuilt as a large wetlands area.