Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yep, Uk s full of them. sadly. I now prefer the title neck its more of a lifestyle choice.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Though the article is wrong about the council house facelift, That should be the Croydon Facelift.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Gae and trav imply in their cartoons that French allowance of so many muslims into their country is the reason for the "terrorism" they are currently experiencing.

My trusty Wall Street Journal never disappoints. In today's edition, it mentioned the oft-cited unemployment numbers - 10% for France as a whole, 40% for the Africans and muslims.

If you look at French labor laws, it's a telling peek into the problems they are currently experiencing. Hiring and firing in France is difficult as long term contracts are ubiquitous. These stringent laws have the effect of eliminating employment for the marginalized and less desirable (ie blacks and muslims).

Add to the mix that the French minimum wage is sixty percent of the average French wage, and this has the dubious effect of pricing the unskilled and less qualified right out of the labor market.

Europeans - and the French in particular - have always been kind of snooty about their culture, so you can just imagine what it would be like for an African or muslim to make headway into their economic systems.

The Journal cited a study where 258 resumes were sent to various companies. Those resumes with addresses from central Paris and French-sounding names got 75 interviews. Those resumes with addresses from the poor suburbs and African sounding names got 14 interviews.

The point? Maybe the problem isn't the muslims. Maybe the problem is the French, their labor laws, their stagnant economy which has shut out those at the bottom from a piece of the economic pie.

The answer isn't to reduce the influx of muslims and Africans. The answer is to give them a fair shake.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by The Big Sexy:
    Gae and trav imply in their cartoons that French allowance of so many muslims into their country is the reason for the "terrorism" they are currently experiencing.

My trusty Wall Street Journal never disappoints. In today's edition, it mentioned the oft-cited unemployment numbers - 10% for France as a whole, 40% for the Africans and muslims.

If you look at French labor laws, it's a telling peek into the problems they are currently experiencing. Hiring and firing in France is difficult as long term contracts are ubiquitous. These stringent laws have the effect of eliminating employment for the marginalized and less desirable (ie blacks and muslims).

Add to the mix that the French minimum wage is sixty percent of the average French wage, and this has the dubious effect of pricing the unskilled and less qualified right out of the labor market.

Europeans - and the French in particular - have always been kind of snooty about their culture, so you can just imagine what it would be like for an African or muslim to make headway into their economic systems.

The Journal cited a study where 258 resumes were sent to various companies. Those resumes with addresses from central Paris and French-sounding names got 75 interviews. Those resumes with addresses from the poor suburbs and African sounding names got 14 interviews.

The point? Maybe the problem isn't the muslims. Maybe the problem is the French, their labor laws, their stagnant economy which has shut out those at the bottom from a piece of the economic pie.

The answer isn't to reduce the influx of muslims and Africans. The answer is to give them a fair shake.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">MMMnnnn, and the USA and all other major western economys dont have the same problem?????
    There isnt a marked difference between White and hispanic levels of unemployment satateside???
    You must have a fantastic President if he has solved this age old issue.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey reason! I just had a brainstorm that will solve the problems in France and here in the US.

<font size="6">From each according to his abilities and to each according to his needs.</font>

I think that's just the ticket.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by gae:
    Hey reason! I just had a brainstorm that will solve the problems in France and here in the US.

<font size="6">From each according to his abilities and to each according to his needs.</font>

I think that's just the ticket.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ok. That's great. But it can't be one sided. Meaning if Shanequa from Avondale has the same qualifications as Bif from West Chester, their resumes should get equal consideration.

In today's world, that's not currently the case.

Unfortunately, that's not the message you were sending, though my interpretation certainly does apply.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have read many articles and many, many posts on Salon about this subject, The Big Sexy. Consensus of opinion among the libs on Salon (which I happen to share, BTW) is that the Shanequas and Ta'wan'dos of the world are born to uneducated parents.

Say what you will, but generally uneducated parents (in this case people who MAKE UP names for their children) raise uneducated children. High school graduates now need remedial reading classes before they can comprehend English 101. The names are just another strike against them.

I don't know the race of any of the following children born in September, but do you REALLY think your company would jump at the chance to hire any of them?

Jorja Summer
    Sunshine Breeze
    Serenity Dawn
    Precious Destiny
    Princess Ann [to Brenda and Prince]
    Autumn Gayla Sioux
    Randyjake
    Klazik
    Kaipo Adamant
    Spartagus
    Calpurnia
    Jakeup Robert
    Exstansha Ann
    Diamant Lavertis
    Caughran
    Frankloin

(Trav's all time favorite name is Jawarski Pollock, a wide receiver for the University of North Carolina.)

This is derailing the thread, I know, so I'll get back to your point about the muslims being marginalized in France. I've yet to read or hear anything that has indicated that they WANT to assimilate into the French culture. They want what they want. Period.

Much like many blacks here in the States. You've seen the youfs here in the hood. Do you think any of them watch you drive by in your spiffy red gas guzzler and think "Wow. If I go to college, I can have a cool ride, too"? No. They've been taught that you owe them a living because you have more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Horsefeathers!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

While things have been changing, if you look at most large companies in America, upper level management is still overwhelmingly white. So is middle level management.

Not all of that is due to Shanequa not getting her diploma.

We've all seen the people who pull the strings make comments not exactly positive regarding those who are darker. People who are darker have heard them, too.

When The Big Sexy sees Lovell and Tyrone hanging out on the street corner, he sees someone who simply doesn't know any better. The Big Sexy does not condone such ignorance, but he does acknowledge that's the way they've been trained.

The Big Sexy also acknowledges that if Tyrone and Lovell go to college for four years they will for the most part have less opportunity and experience more crap than the Big Sexy has.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The Big Sexy does business with two black brokers at major firms - both in the top 4 banking companies in the country. One is named Rashaun. The other is Emmit. Both make considerably more than The Big Sexy.

The Big Sexy can't invite friends and associates to his party boat on Lake Michigan. Rashaun can.

Emmit attended Northwestern University in Chicago, a rather elite university. Rashaun attended Morehouse (?) College in Atlanta, a place he recently said is where all the wealthy blacks attend (with the exception of him).

Both Rashaun and Emmit are highly successful, educated, affluent. Yet both have funny, ethnic names.

As a matter of fact, one day Rashaun sent The Big Sexy a link to a prison inmate's personal ad. The inmate had the exact same first and last name as Rashaun. Rashaun thought it was funny, so he distributed it to all his clients.

Anyway, while prison Rashaun obviously could have done better, broker Rashaun was able to overcome the name impediment, and even jokes about it by announcing, "This is Rashaun Lamar!"

This is long winded, but the point is that all the Rashaun's ain't uneducated. But that won't stop many white folks from thinking so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

MMMnnnn, and the USA and all other major western economys dont have the same problem?????
    There isnt a marked difference between White and hispanic levels of unemployment satateside???
    You must have a fantastic President if he has solved this age old issue.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Generally speaking, The Big Sexy thinks The United States is a better place for integrating cultures than France, or the UK for that matter. Two of the largest US states are now white minority - California and Texas.

The Big Sexy doesn't see a time soon when muslims will take a prominent position in French society.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast