Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban Being Discussed

Emperor Napoleon

Originally posted by Jumper69:
    All of those things you mentioned Trav affect INDIVIDUALS.

Second hand smoke affects multitudes of others. Big difference IMHO.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No one is an island. I think Trav's point is that the other things, while affecting individuals, also impact society as a whole.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

No one is an island. I think Trav's point is that the other things, while affecting individuals, also impact society as a whole.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry I don't see it. If you can explain to me how my running affects the health of another person, I'll buy it. Or drinking (other than the occasional puke on a shirt or something) for that matter.

If my eating skyline 3 times a day for the rest of my life gives YOU cancer, I'll stop.

See my point?? I'll listen if you explain yours better. I'm kind of slow you know.. [img]wink.gif[/img]

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ June 10, 2004 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Jumper69 ]</font>

Emperor Napoleon

Any behaviors, be it sunbathing or over eating or drinking or smoking or exercising too much and having a heart attack or not exercising enough and having a heart attack put a strain on the health care system. Whether you are covered or not (that was another discussion) it puts a strain on the system as a whole. Then again being healthy and living to retirement age is going to bankrupt social security so maybe smokers should be given some kind of tax credit....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sea Gull:
    Any behaviors, be it sunbathing or over eating or drinking or smoking or exercising too much and having a heart attack or not exercising enough and having a heart attack put a strain on the health care system. Whether you are covered or not (that was another discussion) it puts a strain on the system as a whole. Then again being healthy and living to retirement age is going to bankrupt social security so maybe smokers should be given some kind of tax credit....
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are so stretching it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Actually, I think trav is right. I've changed my mind.

While we're at it, we should legalize public intoxication, and driving under the influence. Afterall, drinking while driving is a choice one makes, and that's no one else's business. And hey, if someone wants to puke up beer in the middle of a restaurant, I certainly think it's their right. If someone wants to puke on a stranger, that's perfectly ok, too. Why should anyone infringe on my right to get nasty drunk and feel good about myself?

That's what I like about trav...he really thinks things through. Trav is smart.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ June 10, 2004 05:36 PM: Message edited by: reason ]</font>

Emperor Napoleon

Originally posted by reason:

You are so stretching it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Somebody has to, no one else will..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Sea Gull:
    Originally posted by reason:

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You are so stretching it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Somebody has to, no one else will..</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe that's because you're too boring. I've heard you're so boring, your hand falls asleep.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ June 10, 2004 04:30 PM: Message edited by: reason ]</font>

Emperor Napoleon

Correction: Hands. It's a 2 hand job.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with Lew on this one. Let the business owners make their own decisions.

I'm a smoker, but I work in a non smoking office. I survive.

A number of the restaurants Trav and I like and frequent are totally non smoking. I survive.

Trav always has non-smoking rooms and cars, and when I used to accompany him on business trips, I survived.

I understand the points that have been raised in this thread, but if you are offended by an establishment allowing smoking, DON'T GO. And when you decide to take your dollars elsewhere, send a letter to the smoking-allowed place and let them know why you aren't there.

If enough people do that, the establishments will go smoke free without interference from the <s>morons downtown</s> City Council.

That being said, I really, really think Cincinnati has a few more pressing problems. How many murders already this year?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by gae:
    I agree with Lew on this one. Let the business owners make their own decisions.

I'm a smoker, but I work in a non smoking office. I survive.

A number of the restaurants Trav and I like and frequent are totally non smoking. I survive.

Trav always has non-smoking rooms and cars, and when I used to accompany him on business trips, I survived.

I understand the points that have been raised in this thread, but if you are offended by an establishment allowing smoking, DON'T GO. And when you decide to take your dollars elsewhere, send a letter to the smoking-allowed place and let them know why you aren't there.

If enough people do that, the establishments will go smoke free without interference from the <s>morons downtown</s> City Council.

That being said, I really, really think Cincinnati has a few more pressing problems. How many murders already this year?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I avoid places I know are smokey. But I also go to these very same places when social functions are planned there. I don't see why I'm the one who should alter my behavior when it's the other person who is being rude and antisocial.

The right to clean air trumps anyone's right to blow smoke in your face, pollute your lungs.

Using Gae's "logic," one should avoid just about any restaurant, almost all bars.

Case in point. For my dad's birthday, we made reservations at the Hofbrauhaus. Now my understanding is that at the real Hofbrauhaus they put cigarettes in jars on the tables.

In Newport's Hofbrau, there's a nonsmoking room, and a smoking room. The nonsmoking room was off to the side. The smoking room was in the main room with the band. Everyone, of course, came to see the band and sing along, so we moved to the main room. Afterall, that's why you go to the Hofbrauhaus - to see the entertainment (it certainly isn't for the food).

So we sat with some asshole (and I sincerely mean asshole) behind us chain smoking throughout the entire meal.

I don't care if it's commonplace. It's downright rude. It's antisocial. It's not right.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ June 10, 2004 05:35 PM: Message edited by: reason ]</font>