Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

News flash, Reason. Not everyone embraces the no-morals lifestyle that liberals try to pass off as normal. I'd pull my kids from a class being taught by a unmarried pregnant person. Those are not the morals I'm teaching them. My kids, my choice.

I don't totally disagree with DeMint's stand on the gay teachers either. I see no reason why the students need to know their teacher's orientation. Unless the class he/she teaches is about sexual orientation, it shouldn't be an issue.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by LAKE:
    News flash, Reason. Not everyone embraces the no-morals lifestyle that liberals try to pass off as normal. I'd pull my kids from a class being taught by a unmarried pregnant person. Those are not the morals I'm teaching them. My kids, my choice.

I don't totally disagree with DeMint's stand on the gay teachers either. I see no reason why the students need to know their teacher's orientation. Unless the class he/she teaches is about sexual orientation, it shouldn't be an issue.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I find your uneducated, knee jerk reaction immoral. Probably more immoral than the pregnant teacher. In the same class as the inhospitality demonstrated in Sodom. I wouldn't want my children to have contact with you. I want my children to grow up as good Christians - y'know in the same vein that Jesus our Lord and Savior intended.

And I say this seriously.

We should force those pregnant single women to have abortions, so as not to set a bad examples. And force them into a vow of celebacy.

So from your viewpoint, if a student just happens to find out a teacher is gay (and they do), the teacher should be fired.

You want examples, Lake, I can give you examples.

I went to a Catholic high school where one of our female students became pregnant. She was not banned from my school because of her condition. Instead, she was allowed to openly discuss it in our marriage class.

You'd kick her out in a heartbeat.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ October 06, 2004 10:31 AM: Message edited by: reason ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Up until recently, a gay friend of mine taught classes and coached varsity baseball at a high school in our metropolitan area. Over time, he has run into former (of age) students at various gay events.

To suggest this information doesn't make it back to the high school is naive.

Then there's another guy who was outed from a partner in a broken relationship as an act of revenge. Except he was higher administration.

I'll have to get the details on the second one, but from what I understand it caused him problems professionally.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by reason:
    I find your uneducated, knee jerk reaction immoral. Probably more immoral than the pregnant teacher. In the same class as the inhospitality demonstrated in Sodom. I wouldn't want my children to have contact with you. I want my children to grow up as a good Christian - y'know in the same vein that Jesus our Lord and Savior intended.

And I say this seriously.

So from your viewpoint, if a student just happens to find out a teacher is gay (and they do), the teacher should be fired.

You want examples, Lake, I can give you examples.

I went to a Catholic high school where one of our female students became pregnant. She was not banned from my school because of her condition. Instead, she was allowed to openly discuss it in our marriage class.

You'd kick her out in a heartbeat.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's quite a leap there. If someone doesn't agree with you, that makes them uneducated. Very funny, typical liberal. You can't for a minute entertain another person's viewpoint.

Kids need moral guidance, not total acceptance of anything and everything. Since public schools aren't allowed to teach morals, it's up to the parents. I NEVER said that anyone should be shunned for decisions (or mistakes) they've made, but I want my kids to know their are consequences for their behavior. If little Johnny comes home and announces he got his 14 year old girlfriend pregnant, it's NOT time to throw a party. However, I never said that he should be taken outside and horsewhipped. You drew the harsh conclusions.

It's hard enough to teach morals and responsibility in this world, I don't need further examples of bad behavior in the classroom. It's not the place.

Oh, and I also attended Catholic school. 12 years worth to be exact. There were several cases of girls coming up pregnant, and they were asked to leave the school for the duration of the pregnancy. The boys/fathers were not. I thought that was wrong. I would not have kicked anyone out. This was back in the early 80s, I don't know what they do now.

You don't know me at all.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does someones orientation or the fact that they are pregnant make them a bad teacher. No it does not.

To me it doesn't matter if one of my girls teachers is gay or pregnant. What matters to me is how well does this teacher teaches. Pregnancy and orientation have absolutely nothing to do with spelling, math, and most other classes in school. The only time I can see it being an issue is in sex ed and/or a marriage class. Even then, it wouldn't matter that much to me. I went to Elder for high school and these classes were taught by a priest. I would rather have a lay person teach these classes. If they are gay or pregnant, so be it. I think the kids will learn more. A good teacher will NOT push a social agenda.

Cagliostro

If I had kids I would not object to them having a gay teacher per se. Again it comes back to, how obvious is it? I wouldn't want some militant gay person trying to influence a son/daughter of mine. But if they kept their sexuality to themselves I don't think anyone has a right to deny them a vocation in teaching.

A single, pregnant teacher? Good lesson in pro-life I would think? One can hardly espouse pro-life and condemn a single woman for getting pregnant and not getting an abortion. Both choices come with ramifications (pro-life and pro-choice) So as a pro-life person myself I don't think it would be right to criticize a woman for choosing to have a baby and not just dispose of it the easy way....

Now I would have a problem with a pregnant gay male being a teacher. Somehow that just doesn't seem right...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Gunslinger:
    Does someones orientation or the fact that they are pregnant make them a bad teacher. No it does not.

To me it doesn't matter if one of my girls teachers is gay or pregnant. What matters to me is how well does this teacher teaches. Pregnancy and orientation have absolutely nothing to do with spelling, math, and most other classes in school. The only time I can see it being an issue is in sex ed and/or a marriage class. Even then, it wouldn't matter that much to me. I went to Elder for high school and these classes were taught by a priest. I would rather have a lay person teach these classes. If they are gay or pregnant, so be it. I think the kids will learn more. A good teacher will NOT push a social agenda.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree.

Personally, I'd rather know who my teacher is rather than having them hide it. Knowledge is power, I think. Knowing the background is not a bad thing. Forcing the background into hiding is not.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All of this reminds me of a scrap I had with Erin's 8th grade English teacher. The assignment was to write a letter to (I don't remember) someone, calling for the end of apartheid in Africa.

I told Erin that she wasn't to complete the assignment, and sent a note to the teacher clearly stating that it was her job to teach English, not politics. (And no, I wasn't in favor of apartheid at all. If the assignment had broken the class into segments for debate, that would have been fine. If the assignment's focus had been on learning how to write a letter, that would have been fine, too.)

I got a note back from the teacher, and after I corrected the spelling and grammar, I sent it back. (I used a red pen instead of a purple one, so I must have adversely affected the teacher's self esteem.)

I got a call from the principal, and I calmly explained that the school's job was to teach, not preach politics.

All that being said, I think we all can agree that the personal life of a "good" teacher doesn't matter. Unfortunately, there are few good teachers left.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's quite a leap there. If someone doesn't agree with you, that makes them uneducated. Very funny, typical liberal. You can't for a minute entertain another person's viewpoint.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Your wholesale condemnation of a pregnant single woman, or a gay person whose sexuality became public is appalling and ignorant.

Yes, I am intolerant of ignorance. I plead guilty.

I entertained your viewpoint and it was wrong. Wrong. Wrong. There was nothing right about it. Not to mention unChristian.

Protect your children from yourself.

And I'm not a liberal. Not by a long shot. Fiscal conservative. Socially, mostly conservative with a mix of libertarian.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast