Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would make the law read that the teacher would have to describe, in vivid detail, exactly how she got pregnant.......NICE......

But Reason and Lake's exchange got me thinking of my granmother's sister. Unmarried, she got pregnant in the 1920s, and this is in rural Kentucky. Needless to say, when her little girl reached school-age, it got rough. All the kids teased her and called her a bastard, etc. And my grandmother's sister, while not totally shunned, nevertheless wasn't as embraced by those around her as the other members of the family who were married and had kids.

Every time I would hear that story, it would depress me, especially how narrow-minded people were in those days.

But then I thought about now, and how, when my mom was teaching in the hood, it was almost a badge of honor for some 14-15 yr old to get pregnant, and have 3-4 babies by 3-4 different men by the time she was in her 20s.

So I'm not sure we've progressed as much as we think we have. In any event, while the Senator is, of course, way off-base, Gae did bring up a good point about how certain morality works its way into our schools, often against the parent's wishes.

To that end, I can only say.....GO BUCKS

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Lew:

So I'm not sure we've progressed as much as we think we have.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Goo topic for another thread. I will start it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You 'da man!
    [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

So let me get this straight, someone would pull their kids out of school if the teacher was pregnant and single? Because hey, a teacher might have made a bad decision one night, but doesn't want to add to that by perhaps marrying a guy that she does not love, but also might not be right for her?

This board has fucking really started to show some of its true colors lately and its a complete fucking shame.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ October 07, 2004 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Jigsaw ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jigsaw:

This board has really started to show some of its true colors lately and its a complete fucking shame.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wait till you have kids of your own. The world looks completely different, or at least it should.

<font color="#000002" size="1">[ October 08, 2004 10:59 AM: Message edited by: LAKE ]</font>

Cagliostro

This board has fucking really started to show some of its true colors lately and its a complete fucking shame.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think it's more a case of it being a presidential election year and it pushes so many issues to the forefront. It polarizes people. When the election is over I'm sure people will be a little less politicized. But Raven I don't see the board any different politically speaking than it has always been. The majority of people on here tend to be conservative, some more than others. No reason to get your dander up IMHO.

Cagliostro

Exclamation

And Raven what kind of response do you expect when the title of the topic is "Another Ugly Republican"???? Clearly it was posted to enflame/incite and divide. If there is any blame to be had blame the person who started this topic, not those responding to it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh god, an Ohio State fan. [img]graemlins/gulp.gif[/img]

Go Blue!!! [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">Hail! Hail! Michigan, the leaders and the best!</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by gae:
    What I meant by "civil" is that it hasn't devolved into what other threads became when what'shisname was posting.

The whole gay thing is a really tricky issue, Reason. I had a gay great-uncle. Of course, back in the day, he was just called a "bachelor". You know about my married, fathered-three-children-pillar-of-the-community grandfather.

I think that part of the problem might be that too many straight people have never know anyone openly gay. Ergo, "gay" people are only the militants who get face time on TV. And I think that's a shame.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You wanna know why most straight people (at least in this part of the country) don't know any gay people? Because the every day closeted gay people are afraid of being fired, harrassed, etc. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but there's a reality that attitudes like lakes are widespread and keep perfectly good gay people quiet. It's easier to lie about yourself than suffer the consequences of being honest, particularly when we've got people like lake wanting to fire gay people for being gay.

Sit down with me sometime. I could give you an earful.

Oh...and about being "militant." You'd never hear anyone call Phil Burress that, but that's what he is. But a gay person saying he shouldn't be fired for being gay...well, THAT'S militant.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FWIW, I think Phil is a horses ass.