Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

Hello everyone,
    I'm Ellen (best friends with Phoebe in North Carolina). I bought the grey stove off ebay that is in San Diego. I need to pick it up and drive it home. I have a Dodge Dakota Sport (5'x5' bed). There will be 4 people total to load it. Any suggestions? I'm trying to find out if there is a loading dock as it's in a warehouse at the moment. It's a 10 hour drive so I will be driving down the day before and then hopefully getting an early start at it in the a.m., making the trip back the same day I pick it up. By the way, I named her Chloe.
    Thanks for any ideas/stories you have to share!
    Ellen

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Be sure to take some old blankets/towels. You will need them to protect the stove porcelian and any parts you remove. Bungee cords, rope and/or anything to secure Chloe during the return trip home.
    Remove your drip pans and grates, t-well lid and any pots, your griddle and broiler platter, oven racks and oven floor. This will lighten your load.
    Other will add anything I forgot.
    It should fit fine in your Dakota.

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I would suggest you also pick up some shrink wrap, which can be found with moving supplies at your local home repair store. When you move your stove, you will won't to remove some pieces to lighten up the load. Take these pieces, wrap them in the blankets, and then shrink wrap them. It is quick and very effective to minimize shifting & vibration. Best of luck!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Ellen. I replied in another post as well. I saw this stove, and there is no loading dock there. You'll be loading the stove form the ground. Let me know if you might need help... I live close by.
    Gwen

tux_sf

Ellen-
    I second maryopal on the shrink wrap. We were lucky as our B was local. However there was no way we could move it ourselves as our kitchen is on the 2nd floor of a Victorian house here in SF & the stairway is fairly narrow, so we had to hire movers to bring it home. I kid you not. . .it took all 4 of those guys to pick it up & carry it up the stairs (and I did take off all the loose pieces, the fold down top & the high back as people on here have suggested--everything easily removed except the floor of the oven as I didn't realize it just lifted out until later). Anyway, the professionals we hired wrapped the whole body of the stove in shrink wrap over the moving blankets. This holds everything together really well so that the blankets stay on for the ride.

Others on here have suggested that it is a good idea to remove the porcelain panels before moving. I think they are right in theory, but I don't know if you will have the time to do so.

It would be a tragedy to ding that beautiful gray enamel, so whatever you do, blanket & wrap that porcelain well! Best of luck in the move.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It should be easy to have three, even two, people, tilt the thing backwards onto it's back and into the Dakota bed. Removing the side panels beforehand would be a great idea for many respects (prevents damage, better handling). Easy to do too, just losen the two bolts under each, pull it gently from the bottom til it gives, slowly and carefully swing the bottom up to about 45 degrees and it should release from the cooktop.

The asbestos insulating panels can sometimes hang things up. Bring a resperator as they shed their poisonous fibers liberally. They should be removed after the panels have been removed, and carefully and tightly wrapped in a triple layer of overlapping newspapers and taped, then neatly and tightly wrapped in a plastic bag and taped, and labeled "Danger Asbestos". You may then choose to dispose of them properly or retain them to carefully reinstall.

Is this model a hightop? if so, be super careful not to lever it in handling. Easy thing to do and it will cause very regretable damage to the porcelain.

Good luck!

Joe P

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ellen,

I would take Gwen up on her very kind offer to help- I would love to meet any of these Board Members if only I lived nearer to them! What a great opportunity (even if you didn't need the help!)

I believe Gwen is one who has gone to see Gigi - if so she will second the motion that you should stop there I bet...

Previous post is correct - the side panels are probably all you need remove (of the panels) - and they are by far the easiest too! The back is low - no worries there.

The asbestos referred to is smallish pieces (5" X 10"?)on either side at the top (under the side panels). I had fiberglass instead of asbestos (pink and fluffy vs. pale and more solid). There are posts available describing the asbestos.

I am envious that you get to meet Board Members and go to Gigi's!

Inactive Member Cook of the House's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks everyone. I think my last reply is somewhere in cyberspace. Lots of good advice!