Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Today my Chambers materials arrived, THANK YOU TODD !!! I'm settling in to read them all...the range arrives tomorrow ! Ha-Asfan

lowracer

You lucky dog!

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive...

Can you skip to the section on how to remove the thermostat and timer knobs and give me a quick hint?

I've got all the other panels off but can't get the front panel off (behind which I suspect I will find the lion's share of the rust) until I get those knobs out of the way, and I'm burning daylight here.

Anyone with the info and free/cheap long distance who wants to give me a hint can call (or text message) me on my cell at *** *** XXXX, as I'm out in the garage this afternoon taking "Mrs. Adams" apart prior to cleaning and de-rusting. I'll edit the phone number out of this post after I get the knobs off so if you can still see the phone number, feel free to call.

Thanks!
    -mark

610PM central - Edited to add:
    Got a call from Robert in Detroit, had a good chat about old ovens and stuff. Robert had the manual and instructed me to just pull the knobs off. They're indeed just friction fitted on.

Now, word to the wise, don't do what I did. When you pull the knob off, be careful that you have control of it and a good secure hold on it, because when it breaks free of the friction fit, it will fly across the garage and shatter the enamel, like mine just did! Ouch! Fortunately it's only a small portion of the dial and not the numbered part so I think I can repair it. By the way, I slipped a thin towel behind the knob to gain some leverage on it. Otherwise I don't know how you'd get enough pull on it to break it off its moorings.

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ November 25, 2005 07:16 PM: Message edited by: lowracer ]</font></font>

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 27, 2005 09:35 PM: Message edited by: lowracer ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mark:

Great hint about using a towel to take off the knobs.

Now, don't do what I did! Make sure ALL of the panel nuts are off before you attempt to remove the front panel. When I first removed a front panel from a chambers, I forgot the middle nut by the knobs, and cracked the porcelain. OUCH!, to an otherwise perfect front panel.

Joe

lowracer

Got my manuals in the mail today. Thanks Todd! These look great!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

SUPER! Hope you like them and get a LOT of good use out of them!

lowracer

Yes definitely. I've been studying the service manual all evening and believe I have what it takes to actually service the valves myself. Just gotta order up some of that valve grease and I can get started. Wonder if I can find any locally? I bet my local appliance shop has some for less than what I could pay online.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Whoa! Don't buy any grease. A few months back, The Uncertain Stoveman donated a full tube to the group. If someone can do a search on the hostboard, we will find who had it last. I don't recall who I sent it to, but there should be enongh for about 50 stoves in that tube. Can someone please search, I don't know how. Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey, I learned how to search! Here is the topic "Valve Maintenance"
    [url="http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7954&t=139"]http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7954&t=139[/url]

Looks like Arthur (agrauman) got it first, then he was going to send it to Tom (tplumeri).
    If you could contact them, they should send it on to you. And check out the Chambers Literature here:
    [url="http://stores.ebay.com/The-Uncertain-Stoveman?refid=store"]http://stores.ebay.com/The-Uncertain-Stoveman?refid=store[/url]

Regards, Sam

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

When whoever gets done with the valve grease please contact me.

Matty hasn't had her valves lubed in 54 years.

Too bad we couldn't use dried up cooking grease there was plenty inside Matty.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Ron,

Let me know when you're done with the grease - I'm next!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast