Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asbestos??

lowracer

I was thinking about it some more, and I forgot about the broiler. That would not be insulated like the oven with the rock wool. I am going to look into sticking a batt of rock wool in place of these to insulate the left side panel from the heat of the broiler. I still can't figure out what good the one on the right is for. I'll continue to cogitate over it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Some Chambers ranges came with the asbestos panel under the side panels, and some had a piece of fiberglass under the side panels. Suspect it was a cost thing. Chambers advertised that you could have qero clearance on the back and both sides. Guess the y felt that the right side needed it to make this claim. I have seen white and grey rock wool. Must be the difference in manufacturing processes. All that I am getting now is grey. I have been out of stock for a month or so. Have ordered another 200 pounds, to be delivered anytime now.

And check out the Chambers Literature here:
    [url="http://stores.ebay.com/The-Uncertain-Stoveman?refid=store"]http://stores.ebay.com/The-Uncertain-Stoveman?refid=store[/url]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Matty had the asbestos boards under the side panels too.

How about the gray fiber board that is used for underlaying ceramic tile, it's roughly 3/4" thick and comes in sheets about 4 x 4. Not certain what it is called. You can cut it with a hand saw.

OR how about ceramic tile? It could be installed double or even triple thickness.

Ron

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Concrete board is frequently used in tile installations. It is heavy and very easy to work with, cutting and all. Would standard wall insulation, the pink stuff, do the same job as rockwool ? Just wondering....

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So glad the sites back up.

I kept checking it... and checking it... and checking it...

As soon as I can get a good respirator, the insulating panels are my next project. I'll check out for concrete tile board. My father also mentioned that there might be some fiberglass equivalent to what's in there now. I'll have to hit the building supply houses and quiz the helpful staff.

Meanwhile, I am still looking for yellow panels or a whole yellow stove to come on eBay or anywhere else, and nothing. I even contacted a seller in Cali whose stove got no bids (for 2 whole auction), and wouldn't you know it - now it's sold. This, after I got to dreaming about a nice anniversary train trip out to the west coast, a relaxed road trip home, some Grand Canyon hiking on the way back and everything. It was starting to sound so lovely. Jeff was even liking the sound of it. Foiled again.

(S)he who hesitates is lost, and all that.

-jenn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Chipper,
    I've got my eye out for yellow panels for you too. Don't give up!! It's out there we just have too find them.
    Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for watching.

-jenn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12