Thread: What cookware do you use on your Chambers???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey guys,

Mark got me thinking about something with his new shiny grates.

What cookware do you use??
    Are your grates original & worn OR reporcelian???

I have the KitchenAid Hard-Base Nonstick Set in red. Okay, I thought the color was prettier than the stainless steel and the red color looks great hanging from the holder!!
    I worry about ruining a high $$ pot and pan set that has a "coating" when I "shake" it on my bare metal grates. I'm a shaker and flipper when cooking!!
    Would the reporcelain grate prevent any damage to the bottom of the pans??
    Any thoughts, suggestions or experience on this matter??

BB&B just opened and I'm itching to go, see, touch, feel and BUY!!!

I do have a cast iron skillet in 10" and 12". I use primarily for cornbread and frying, but not chicken!!

Berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

We use cast iron, almost exclusively.

We have small, medium, large, and extra-large skillets, which work well without sticking IF you season them properly and NEVER use soap to clean the insides!

When I can afford it, I want to add the following cast iron cookware:

* Dutch Oven
    * A "Chicken Fryer" - basically a big skillet with a domed lid.
    * Saucepans

I just LOVE 19th-century non-stick cookware!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Todd,

I'm a proud munchkin/midget/petite/short person, a whole 5'3" 110lbs. Those cast irons skillets wear me out picking them up and moving them. Not to mention the weight of them!!

Hubby says I really need to work on my upper body strength. ROTFLOL!!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have collected cast iron pans forever, they have such character. I love the way they fry, saute, and bake foods. I won't cook cornbread in anything else. I love the crispy crust it creates.

When it comes to stews, sauces, vegetables, etc., I prefer stainless clad cookware like All Clad or Saladmaster. All Clad is typically out of my price range, but I have managed to pick up a couple of pieces at sales. My primary pans for stovetop are the Saladmaster pans that I have found at estate sales. The prices on ebay are unreasonable.

I have not noticed damage to any of my pots, but I may not scoot them around as much as some cooks. I do have to be careful with the flame though as it can get too high & scorch the bakelite handles.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm with Todd and the other cast iron cooks. Nothing but nothing cooks like cast iron, the heat retention is wonderful and the heat spread is fantastic too. Once you get over the fear of washing without soap and learning how to properly store and care for the cast iron, you'll become a convert too. That being said...there are some dished I won't cook in cast iron..Paella I cook in an enamelled Dansk Paella pan as I do sauces. Soups I use very heavy gauge aluminum Bourgeat French pots. Almost all other dishes are cooked in the cast iron. At gargare sales, estate sales and thrift stores, many great cookery items can be found for fair prices.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am so happy to hear about the use of cast iron. I have some that belonged to my mother and grandmother. My grandmother was married at 16, which was in 1904. So, I figure one of my skillets and my potato masher, which were hers, are definitely well made because I use them all the time. Now if only we can get this stove up and running!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I prefer Cast Iron for use on my Chambers. My grates are chrome and the Cast Iron doesn't damage them. Not only does seasoned cast Iron not stick, the heat is much more even and it retains heat (covered, it keeps the food warm). The only negative is that my Chamber's valves won't turn down low enough to get a slow simmer with cast Iron, but I'm hoping that when I get around to using the valve grease this problem will be solved.

For soups and stock, I use large Quality stock pots I picked up at "Tuesday Morning". They were marked down 70% from the discounted price because apparently most folks don't want the large size stock pots. Check out the Clearance area of the cooking section of Tuesday Morning.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'm surprised that you feel that the CHAMBERS burners can't turn down enough when cooking with cast iron.

Are you sure they're calibrated properly? Do you have the Service Manual for your CHAMBERS and made sure?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just picked up a griswald breakfast pan at a tag sale today $1.00. I just need to re-season it. I'm starting to stock up on the cast iron because I love to cook with it. I didn't find any chambers, lisk or wear-ever pots today [img]frown.gif[/img]

Treatmaker