Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There's a red B, on ebay in Jonesboro, Georgia. It's got some major scorch marks above the oven door.

[url="http://tinyurl.com/fgtbx"]http://tinyurl.com/fgtbx[/url]

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 16, 2006 07:56 PM: Message edited by: debgro ]</font>

tux_sf

Actually, it looks to be a BZ (it has the little porthole above the common burner pilot & the C-style grates), which is even better in some ways.

Judging from the scorch marks, I'm guessing bad thermostat?? I wonder if the enamel was damaged (which would be a real concern with this color!).

Incredibly rare piece though. Quite a find for someone willing to fix it up.

--Danny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The thermostat knob looks kind of like the type used with earlier model B stoves. All of the BZ stoves I have seen have had the larger diameter white thermostat dial with the central metal portion of the knob embossed "Robertshaw". The stovetop does look like a typical BZ. Lends credence to Danny's idea that there was a thermostat problem.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 17, 2006 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Gyrinophilus ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

[quote]Originally posted by Gyrinophilus:
    [b]The thermostat knob looks kind of like the type used with earlier model B stoves. All of the BZ stoves I have seen have had the larger diameter white thermostat dial with the central metal portion of the knob embossed "Robertshaw". The stovetop does look like a typical BZ. Lends credence to Danny's idea that there was a thermostat problem.

<font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ September 17, 2006 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Gyrinophilus ]</font></font>[/b][/quote]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My red stove is like red one in GA. Mine I understand is a BZ. Mine has small knob for the oven temp. Mine has pilot light opening on top too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is going to get very geeky and kind of detail oriented (I can't help myself), so be forewarned.

I find it very interesting that your model BZ stove is equipped with a thermostat with a small dial. Could you post a picture of the stove?

I don't recall where, but somewhere in at least one previous posting, it was noted by a forum member more knowledgeable than me, that the BZ model stoves were equipped with the Robertshaw 2200-S thermostat (the one with the larger white thermostat dial). The Service Manual for the Model B and BZ models also states (page 6) that the BZ stoves were equipped with the 2200-S thermostat while model B stoves were equipped with the model AQ thermostat (the one with the smaller thermostat dial with the red center). What the manual doesn't say so explicitly though it is implied on page 3 of the parts list is that some of the later model B stoves were equipped with the Robertshaw 2200-S like the BZ stoves. You see those model B stoves fitted with the 2200-S offered on e-Bay (at least I assume you do because they have that big white thermostat dial that goes with the 2200-S). I haven't come across anything mentioning that model BZ stoves were equipped with the model AQ, but recall that Sam (the incomparable Uncertain Stoveman) once noted that Chambers would, on occasion, use whatever they had available in equipping a stove. Lowracer's model C stove is equipped with a Wilcolator thermostat (which Sam noted was less common). So it wouldn't be all that surprising if some BZ stoves were equipped with the AQ.

I guess product standardization was not as stringent as today. Still, the quality of the product of that more flexible era was and remains superior to modern equivalents produced on assembly lines that are rigidly standardized.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I nominate Pokie and Gryn for Expert Status! Yep, looks like Air/gas mixture was off. Seems to be soot or carbon above oven. I think that it would come off with ellbow grease and maybe some auto paint buffing compound. I wouldn't be afraid to bid on this stove, it'll clean up.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Pokey deserves the expert designation. I just repeat information that is available to others by reading the stove manual or by reading posts from the real experts on the forum (Like Sam, Todd Joe, Tura and others). If I complete my BZ restoration (which is proceeding pretty slowly), I might make it to advanced beginner.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If Joann in Duncanville ever wants to sell her Red Range ( soon!) Please contact me!!!! Thank you, Anni in Houston!