Thread: B timer for C

tux_sf

There has been discussion about timers in the recent past, so you might want to search the board for that. I'm not sure if the size is the same, but it may very well be.

I know from experience that in the B's they used different timer mechanisms and that these have different shanks (is that what you call the thing that the pointer attachs to that goes to the core of the timer?). In other words, the pointer thingee that you set for the timer is not interchangeable between different shank types. I bought a replacement for my broken one on eBay a while back & the pointer was different--& not as nice, in my opinion--than my original one. Unfortunately the replacement doesn't seem to work fully either & I haven't had time to fool with it to see if I can get it running properly.

--Danny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My memory is failing, but I seem to recall that the B/BZ timer has a solid 1/4" shaft and the knob is held on with a screw, and the C timer has a split shaft and the knob is pressed on. Perhaps someone can verify on their stoves. Also, it seems that almost all B/bz timers still work and most C timers have busted wind up springs. Wonder why?

tux_sf

Sammy-
    The timer that came with my B has a pushed on knob. I'd have to pull it off to see for sure if the shank is split, but I vaguely recall it wasn't. I think it has a flattened side & the knob has a metal piece that pushes against the shank to hold it on. The one I bought on eBay has the knob with the screw in the middle as you describe.

I would be very surprised if the one that is on my stove isn't the original one since when I opened it up to have a look at it is was clearly on there for a long time---lots of old polish was dried up inside & it clearly was made to fit the B. I rather suspect the polish was what broke it since there was even some in the mechanism. It all makes sense since the woman I acquired Elmer from told me her grandmother wasn't much of cook & hardly used it, but she was something of a clean fanatic & did keep it very clean.

If I get up the energy I'll try to get some pictures of my 2 different timers up on here.

--Danny

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There is a timer for a B or BZ on ebay. If I buy this, will I be able to take the back off, or the guts out, and use it in my C, since I have the dial for the C???