Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lori G:

Now c'mon: what'll it be: metal finish or tooth filling? Such indecisivness wouldn't get you far on "So you want to be a millionaire".

Sounds like you are barking up the right tree with the metal finish thing. Those chrome bands that face the spice shelves could be what "Silverlite" refers to. But just because I issued the challenge doesn't mean I know the answer. I don't, so I can't verify your answer, It's gonna take someone out there who can site a supporting reference in their Chambers lit to back you up ;-). Keep digging!

Joe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't know the answer. I do know that in that era, wonderful names were given to similar products to distinguish one manufacturer from the other. Silverlite may very well be a brand name or a trademarked name for a chromium finish taking advantage of the "lite" from products such as "bakelite", an incredibly new and fabulously popular early protoplastic. It may have only been a sales ploy capitalizing on a popular word. Next week I'll be going through period design resources looking for specific refernces...I just may find what we're looking for !

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, this isn't verifiable, but my guess is that Silverlite was some sort of new aluminum compound back in the day.
    Ann

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok, here is my best guess. It appears to be some type of metal compound. I have found household items, such as lamps and globes, that are made with a "silverlite chrome finish" [url="http://shopping.msn.com/reviews/shp/?itemId=94122603."]http://shopping.msn.com/reviews/shp/?itemId=94122603.[/url]

I have found a dental mixture of some type that describes it as a silver/brass combination: [url="http://shopping.msn.com/reviews/shp/?itemId=94122603"]http://shopping.msn.com/reviews/shp/?itemId=94122603[/url]

Do I win????

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I say that is is just "Marketing Hype" for the high back models with the timer, shelves and lights.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think many of you hit on the answer...

I went to the Chambers lovers website and on chart of different models, that Todd has posted there, you will see the very first model shown is called Copperlite "with a dramatic touch of bright copper on the back and handles."

So... Sam's answer of "I think that the Silverlite refered to the Aluminium back panel on the Model BZ" might be the "right" answer? Perhaps they used the term Silverlite when they started using chrome instead of black tops and handles?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

FatFutures:

Heyyyyyy.... I like the way you're thinkin'! That "Copperlite" reference makes my researcher's heart sing! Very interesting and supportive of Lori G, ha-asfan, etc.

I'm gonna hold out just to see what other supportive tidbits show up.

I agree with you, that it takes a village to solve a mystery. You guys are making it difficult to decide who gets the reward. I may have to send out a few copies.

Joe

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I just figured out how to use the search function. The previous poster answered my EXACT question about how and whether it would be okay to remove the high back on this stove I'm looking at online. I can't go scope it out, not worth the gas $$ to make a surveying trip.

You guys rule!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234