Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My darling finally put my 90C back together and hooked a gas line to it. I've been cooking this week on our 12' deep front porch until he has time to check for gas leaks and can get it inside.

It's all I'd hoped and more.

We have a large family, 7 of us, eating virtually all meals at home. Also, we live in the country with frequent power outtages. Having the Chambers means we can ditch the crock pots that never kicked back on when the power was restored.

Sorry to be so chatty, but my point is: unlike Rachel Ray's, this ain't no vanity range. We need the size and the features.

My husband feels we need at least two roasters, probably a medium-sized plus a large one. Will a large Lisk roaster fit in the oven?

We both agree a second set of triple wells are in order, given my adoration of the thermowell and the fact that our set is missing one pot. But I'm wondering, should I also double up on doubles and singles?

Also, in the Idle Hour cookbook, I see the griddle is pictured as standing straight up. Ours manages about a 45-degree angle. How about it? Is that typical? Or does my dh need to try, try again?

Thanks, Karen

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Even the largest Lisk roaster fits into the oven..pots, how many??? You can also use them in the oven and on top of the griddle, the more the merrier!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hi Karen,

The CHAMBERS is PERFECT for a large family! With a little planning, you can use it to [i]"cook with the gas turned [b]OFF"[/i][/b] all day and overnight, if need be, to provide balanced, nutritious, and healthful meals with great savings over cooking on and ordinary stove using ordinary methods. Once you master the art of cooking [i][b]"the CHAMBERS way"[/i][/b], you'll save time, money, and your meals will be more healthful, better tasting, and cost less to prepare!

For a family your size (we have 7 in our house, too), I recommend, as a minimum:

(1) Small LISK roaster.
    (2) Medium LISK roasters.
    (2) Large LISK roasters.
    (1) MONSTER-sized LISK roaster.
    (2) Large Thermowell kettles.
    (4) 1/2-size Thermowell kettles.
    (6) 1/3-size Thermowell kettles.

Now, you don't have to go out and get these all at once, but having this many makes it possible for us to make and serve meals without having to rush around to wash and re-use the posts/roasters for the next meal.

In addition, things like beans, stews, etc., can be reheated in the large kettles if there's any left over, so having 2 really comes in handy.

And, yes, even the MONSTER-size LISK roaster - big enough to cook a 25-pound turkey - fits in the CHAMBERS oven. It's a LOT bigger than you think!

The "Idle Hour" Cookbook, 3rd Edition, has information on how to utilize the entire cooking surface - even the griddle - when preparing large meals for lots of people.

Oh, and the griddle doesn't come all the way up - my guess is CHAMBERS made theirs do that only for the photo shoot's.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 16, 2006 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Perk,

You will absolutley fall in love with your Chambers!! You will wonder how you got along without for so long, especially with a family of 7!!
    I just can't imagine cooking before [url="http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/259218814eAzvEX"]Big Bertha[/url].

Ditto what Todd said.
    No, the griddle does not open "all the way up" and does have an angle in the open position.

Welcome to the world of CWTGTO. With 7 people you will be able to utilize every feature. No more "baby sitting" the stove.
    A Chambers stove is an amazing thing and why they stopped making them everyone questions.
    Take it from Grammy here- they don't make 'em like they use too!! I don't have to worry about Grandson turning the gas knob on ore burning his hand on the oven door. The stovetop does get HOT, especially B models with no vent!!
    You'll get some great recipes and ideas on this forum and will eventually be able to add some yourself.

I donated my crock pot to Goodwill.

Welcome a board
    berlyn

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

I still take my crock pot to church or th vfw to use as a warmer on the buffet for all those pot luck dinners.....they dont have a chambers lol

kathie k

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you, all. Scott, especially, thanks for the specifics -- your post really confirmed that I should gather a few more of these wonderful pots and pans as we're able! I appreciate the input greatly.

Good point about using crock pots at socials ... I may have to keep one around after all. LOL.

Karen Perkins

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That many for one stove/family?

Okay, I'm a little confused. Maybe this is a matter of kitchen/cooking style, but...

You use each pot once for hours at a time, to produce a meal. There's no using two thermowell pots (or sets of pots) at once, because there's only one thermowell. Unless, of course, you're LoriG. [img]http://www.hostboard.com/forums/[/img]

Assuming that I don't store my leftovers in the thermowell pots in the fridge, I'm not sure I would ever need more than one of each type-- no matter how many folks in my household.

Maybe part of that is a storage issue-- I've always had smallish kitchens. Or a money issue-- I don't have $1000 to spend on pots (assuming each costs around $150). Or a "clean kitchen" issue-- I wouldn't want dirty pots sitting around until the next meal anyway, so if it forces me to clean a pot immediately to use it again, isn't that a good thing?

I hope this doesn't sound judgy-- I grew up with just one sibling, so maybe I don't understand the dynamics of big households.

People actually own that many pots for one stove?

Wow.

<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ November 20, 2006 04:12 PM: Message edited by: kimvsmith ]</font>