Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't remove the griddle when using the broiler.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Personally, I wouldn't do it - the stuff ALWAYS comes off eventually IN YOUR FOOD!

Do you REALLY want to be EATING that stuff?

I'm going to get a Griswold #8 Cast Iron Griddle (available on eBay) & swap it out when I use the Griddle feature of my CHAMBERS. Otherwise, I'll leave the aluminium one in place, as it is easier (read: LIGHTER) on the lift mechanism.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

im with you todd. i would not want to eat that stuff too. but my question is this whats wrong with the aluminium one? is it realy that hard to clean?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bringing this topic up again, and putting it on its own thread after hi******* the other thread on rechroming top:

used that lovely search function -- from that earlier thread (here: [url="http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7954&t=583"]http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7954&t=583[/url] ) I see that Gigi charges $35 for silverstoning.
    However, it seems that silverstoning may not last under the heat of the gas. At least that's the impression I get from reading this Washington Post article:

[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/09/AR2006050900340.html"]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/09/AR2006050900340.html[/url]

[i]What is the difference between Teflon nonstick and SilverStone pans? Is the latter also Teflon?

The SilverStone nonstick coating is partly Teflon. It is made from Teflon (PTFE) plus another polymer called PFA. As far as heating and cleaning are concerned, it can be treated the same as Teflon. DuPont Co. has sold the SilverStone brand name to Meyer Corp. of Vallejo, Calif.

I should mention that cheap nonstick pans, being light and thin compared to heavy (and expensive) big-name brands, will heat unevenly, developing hot spots mimicking the heat pattern of the burner beneath. Even with food in the pan, these hot spots can reach Teflon-destroying temperatures, with negative consequences for both the life of the pan and the probability of toxic-fume emission.[/i]

However, perhaps if it's your spare griddle and you only allow it to be subjected to heat when you're actually cooking on it (and remove it otherwise), it might work.

Mark, or anyone else who tries it, give us the scoop when you have the opportunity to speak from experience.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

and the followup question -- perhaps it's an ignorant one... but when you're using the broiler should you leave the griddle attached?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cast iron is too heavy and will damage the mechanism. Cooking on teflon has not been shown to cause brain damage in rats that were fed 1250x the normal recommended daily allowance of PTFE and partially hydrogenated PCBs. Aluminum does not cause Alzheimers but is more difficult to clean than teflon, though not significantly so.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I agree with Mark - aluminum is safe to cook on/in, but I prefer the seasoned cast iron to cook on. And you don't want to leave the cast iron one on the lift mechanism - it will damage it over time.

I plan to keep the aluminum one in place unless I am cooking on the griddle, then I'll swap the cast iron one for it when I need it.