Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey hey...time to start a new one! so i figure we all have a commen base in terms of what manga we like to read, maybe we all read the same books too..

who are you reading?? right now about the only author im reading is ANNE RICE. she's like what kaori yuki would be if she wrote books. i love anne rice..definetly my favorite author. plus im a big fan of PIERS ANTHONY..though he's starting to get very repetitive with xanth, i still read em though. and i have to confess, i am a HARRY POTTER fan. yup, i was one of the one's who pre-ordered book 5 like a year in advance. Errr there's many more, but i dont want this to get to long

so here's my recommendation. go read "BLACKWOOD FARM" by anne rice. its definetly got some yaio action in it (not a whole lot...cuz thats not the point of the book) but its really a very very good book. so far (and i still have like 100 pgs to go) i think its one of the best she's ever done

but anyone else got suggestions??

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

........(sweatdrop)

.....realizing that it's been literally months since I read something which was English-language fiction in book form, as opposed to (a) English-language nonfiction for work and/or costuming, (b) Japanese, or (c) posted on the RP board and/or fiction I'd written myself...

I used to be a voracious reader... then real life hit, and I had to get a (gasp) real job, and I got to choose between reading and writing with what free time was left... and I feel like I've accomplished something more productive when I spend a couple hours writing than a couple hours reading... ::shrug::

That said, the Terry Pratchett Discworld books are hilarious. (I actually recommend starting somewhere at the third book or later; the first couple aren't as good, because he's still figuring out the rhythm, but once he introduces the Wyrd Sisters cast, he's figured out what he's doing and gotten his stride. You can go back and read the earlier ones later for backstory, but the Wyrd Sisters cast isn't connected to the Color of Magic cast at first, so there's nothing you're missing that's plot-significant then...)

And Laurell K Hamilton's vampire books, while not in themselves high art, are both an entertaining read and chock full of people who ought to be described with the word "bishounen" if she had any concept that bishounen existed...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

books...err...I'm not much of a book reader ^^;; Harry Potter,yes I read it...but lately I prefer Artemis Fowl than Potter^^ I simply love the main character xD

Inactive Member Winter's Shadow's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Let's see . . . We've already mentioned Harry Potter, so I won't bother repeating that. Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series is long, involved, but damn good. Mercedes Lackey's "Valdemar" books are fantastic, especially the "Last Herald-Mage" trilogy. And throw in "Bedlam's Bard" by her, too! Anne Rices "Vampire Chronicles" aren't bad, but it really seems now like she's stretching her powers of finding good reasons for her books to feature Lestat. "Memoirs of a Geisha," by Arthur Golding, is my all-time favourite book. "Sophie's World," by Jostein Gaarder, is really good if you don't mind getting into some serious philosophical stuff.

There. That covers over half the stuff that's on my bookshelf right now. Enjoy!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Haven't had alot of time to read many books lately...but here are some authors that I can't put down XD

Mercedes Lackey
    Anne Rice
    Brian Jacques
    J.K. Rowling
    Madelein L'engle
    And a few others I can't remember at the moment. XD

When I was younger I was an avid reader of the Boxcar Children and Nancy Drew...I'm a sucker for mysteries ^^

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That said, the Terry Pratchett Discworld books are hilarious. (I actually recommend starting somewhere at the third book or later; the first couple aren't as good, because he's still figuring out the rhythm, but once he introduces the Wyrd Sisters cast, he's figured out what he's doing and gotten his stride. You can go back and read the earlier ones later for backstory, but the Wyrd Sisters cast isn't connected to the Color of Magic cast at first, so there's nothing you're missing that's plot-significant then...)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can't believe that the next Terry Pratchett fan I would find would be here, on sakura-crisis [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] .
    I feel I have to second Risu-chan's recommendation on reading Pratchett books because the man's got a peculiar sense of humour that damn near got me roling on the floor whenever I read any of his books.
    Other authors I can recommend (well sue me, I'm a bookworm):

-Neil Gaiman (if you need a specific recommendation, read Neverwhere. But read all of his books. Pweez?)

-Mika Waltari (especially his Sinuhe, this is a historical novel, very good, very good)

-Daniel Quinn (especially Ishmael, about a man who seeks the truth (just the truth in general, nothing specific) and learns it from a gorilla, and I don't mean that he goes to the jungle and experiences cosmic harmony and becomes one with nature;

(*dies* I've had enough of crap like that...)

but an actual talking gorilla discusses philosophy with him.... it's a good book, OK?)

And people, the list goes on, but your torment caused by this ranting post ends here. Have a nice day.

[img]graemlins/rainbow.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

: [img]biggrin.gif[/img] rily:: I can tell you right now that we *don't* all read the same books--of the five authors mentioned so far whose work I've actually read, there is only one (maybe two--I can't fairly assess Jacques' work because I've only read one of his books) whom I don't consider an incompetent hack. ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;

That being said, my favourites include Lois McMaster Bujold, C. S. Friedman, Barry Hughart, Garth Nix, Simon R. Green, and . . . well, if I were to list all the one-hit wonders and the authors who are sometimes brilliant and sometimes mediocre, I'd be here all night--I read a *lot*--and listing individual books would be even worse, not to mention not very useful, since I've been collecting books for more than twenty years now and large slices of my collection are out of print.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Barry Hughart!!!!!!!!

Barry Hughart RULES... I just didn't mention him because I figured it'd be way too hard to hook somebody on a guy whose stuff has been (last I heard) next door to out of print for ages unless you live near enough to Chicago to get some of the stock that "The Stars Our Destination" bookstore bought up when they heard the Story of the Stone was going to be remaindered...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

err, books, books, what is that again? ooh, the -long- fanfiction stuff but with original caracters, right, I remember that, I used to read some when I was very little...

I guess you got the idea I'm pretty much not into books these times ^^;;; even less english ones.

I liked Harry Potter (even if some HP fftion are better written, she still invented the whole plot and caracters so I give her full credits),

I liked the Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis (beware, that one is thick [ 766 pages for my edition, arial 10-11 ] and could be presented as if for kids but I found enought to feed my hentai brain along the way ^___^- )

and even if I didn't erad the last one in english yet, Haruki Murakami's book are realy nice! (Japenese author, writes a lot about casual or not facts, but is pretty fucked up and nice as we like it. ^0^) [Add bonus, if you play the slightess with his name you get a mix between Muraki, kami and some other lame jokes that only I can be enought retarde to laught at ].

So, yeah, I hate long books but only found those to be worthy of being mentioned ?__?;

I'd like to put a list of book in other languages I've read and liked but can't think of any right now .__.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I love the books of Anne Rice (especially the "biographies" of the vampires), Tolkien (especially the Lord of the Rings and the Silmarilion), Rowling, Pratchett and Marion Zimmer Bradley.
    I also loved "Alice's adventures in wonderland", "Faust" of Goethe (gorgeous!) and a book called "Illuminati" (This is the german name of it, i don't know what the english name is, I'd have to look it after)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast