Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hondata install again.........HELP!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey jim, after talking with you on saturday, mike from autowave here in cali told me that i can use the current map on the hondata to drive it to get a dyno tune. he said as long as there is a map on it already setup for my 550s, i should just gramma drive it 80 miles to his shop. the map already on it is setup for a turbo b16 w/550s. what does an experienced jrsc hondata tuner such as you recommend? think it'll be safe to gramma drive it to the tuners 80 miles away?

im hoping it at least idles after the install [img]graemlins/thinking.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 17, 2005 10:01 PM: Message edited by: spidermancivic ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Remember one crucial point about tuning a Turbo engine compared to a Supercharged engine: The turbo engine acts like a N/A motor until the turbo begins to spool... whereas, the increased load generated by the spinning of the blower changes the tune of the engine EVERYWHERE... both in and out of boost. It is MUCH easier to tune a Turbocharged car than a Supercharged car.

This means that a stock B16A fuel map could be as far away as 28% lean in some places of the vaccuum side of the map... and this is assuming that the last guy had a bone stock B16A. Also remember that there is a reason why the guy you bought the parts from SOLD them in the first place... and chances are good that it wasn't because he needed the $$$ to help his ill grandmother !!! If he was having issues, part of it may be tune-related... he most likely got frustrated and gave up... or worse yet, BLEW HIS MOTOR !!!

Now, I am not trying to scare you into sending me your ECU for a basemap... I am simply giving you things to think about. I see no reason why you cannot at least test the water by driving the car around the block and see how it behaves. Watch your A/F gauge like a hawk and pay close attention to the engine (and any sounds that may eminate from the engine bay) as well as the performance. If it just doesn't feel/sound right, then try another basemap.

Call me if you need me.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for all your help jim. i wish you were in cali instead of alabama.

anyways ive choosen a different route. im already stripping out the JR MAP, VPAC, and BTC for tommorrow. im just going to pay the $70 labor for installing the resistor box at autowave. im too iffy about driving that 80 miles with the turbo map. anyways, another few questions again [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

is it ok to keep the timing at stock 16 degrees for the 80 mile drive for my dyno tuning with the removal of the BTC @ 9 psi? if not, i forgot where the proper settings are supposed to be at. and also, can i NOW route the IAT sensor to the back of the manifold with the removal of the MAP controller. It would lessen the time of install at autowave.

Thanks for all the people who have guided me through this.

Anyone wanna guess my numbers tommorrow after the install and tune [img]wink.gif[/img] ill post the results tommorrow night.

PS: JR band aids are now for sale [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 19, 2005 11:21 PM: Message edited by: spidermancivic ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reset your distributor timing to 10' BTDC. You will need a timing light with a dial-back knob to accurately display this.

You can go ahead and move the IAT into the blower manifold... however, I would definitely stay out of boost until you get the car tuned properly.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just tie wrap the bypass valve open for the drive to the dyno.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by spidermancivic:
    thanks for all your help jim. i wish you were in cali instead of alabama.

anyways ive choosen a different route. im already stripping out the JR MAP, VPAC, and BTC for tommorrow. im just going to pay the $70 labor for installing the resistor box at autowave. im too iffy about driving that 80 miles with the turbo map. anyways, another few questions again [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

is it ok to keep the timing at stock 16 degrees for the 80 mile drive for my dyno tuning with the removal of the BTC @ 9 psi? if not, i forgot where the proper settings are supposed to be at. and also, can i NOW route the IAT sensor to the back of the manifold with the removal of the MAP controller. It would lessen the time of install at autowave.

Thanks for all the people who have guided me through this.

Anyone wanna guess my numbers tommorrow after the install and tune [img]wink.gif[/img] ill post the results tommorrow night.

PS: JR band aids are now for sale [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ January 19, 2005 11:21 PM: Message edited by: spidermancivic ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hey jims shop is about one of the best things alabamas got and u cant take that from us =P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12