Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

also, i would like to patent this too, but there is just too much involved with the project. theres too many things to modify to get it to work properly. also, you cant have a/c or power steering. they must be removed for the intercooler to be installed.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok guys:
    i need some help.
    where can i get the following :

1. oem knock sensor (cheap) for my motor.(b18c1)
    mine broke off while working on the intercooler.

2. a cheap heat exchanger for the intercooler.
    dimensions are roughly (12"wide) x 14" tall x 2 core or 3 core(approx)2" to 3" thick.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fellas, there is no way you can patent this idea. There is plenty of prior art on this one. Trust me, we are nowhere near the first people to think of this idea [img]tongue.gif[/img] .

That fact notwithstanding, I am wondering how much we are really capable of sharing on this one. It is possible that my application (being an '00 Prelude H22A4 block) by be geometrically different enough to warrant major design deviations from what 92SleepR and SC hybrid are talking about. I am still interested in collaboration, but I don't know how much overlap we really have here. I have spent no time under a Teg's hood, so I can't really say [img]frown.gif[/img] .

SC Hybrid : Any radiator will do. Intercoolers are really just heat exchangers also. It's all the same concept. You can either rip an old radiator out of a junkyard and mangle it down to a smaller size, or have an IC custom made. Or check out the IC's selling on Ebay.

However, you need to make sure the radiator has a sufficient heat dissipation to cool the water resevoir. Don't underestimate this. If your radiator is too small or the water resevoir too small, you will just be re-circulating hot water through the system and the intercooler will do nothing at all.

Additionally, you are going to need a water pump. The Yahoo group had some good, specific reccomendations for this, and I am inclined to go with their experience.

I don't know if you are doing this for drag or not. Based on your sig, it sounds like you are. If this is for drag only, you can just put ice in your IC water resevoir. With that, you could get > 100% efficiency out of your IC [img]cool.gif[/img] . For a daily driver though, you have to be self sufficient. For that, you need a big enough radiator as mentioned above.

I want to emphasize here the importance of reading the Yahoo Air-Water Intercoolers group. There are a lot of really good ideas floating around there (bad puns notwithstanding [img]wink.gif[/img] ).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Guys, I just had another idea.

A common problem here is the distributor. It seems to be getting in everyone's way. Well, I have a cool solution :

You don't need one.

What's that you say? Hogwash! The boy is crazy!

Well folks, you can do it. Modern automobiles don't need distributors. They are mechanical relics. The modern way is to use an electronic ignition mechanism.

These have been around for some time (as I understand). You can take the commercial route and buy a commercial system, or for the really adventurous, you can build your own.

One commercial system : Electromotive Systems
    A good DIY system :
    Digital Distributorless Ignition System

A search on Google or something should yield more information for the real curious.

Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Go easy there...
    You still need sensory input from the TDC sensor, CKF sensor and cylinder sensor for the ECU to not get pissed off at you... and they are all found inside the distributor.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ive been thinking that the charger may be mounted with the outlet sideways pointed towards the firewall . if this can be done twice the intercooler surface area of wedging a core between the jr manifold and charger may be achieved . if the manifold loops 180deg. up and over the charger housing a core could be placed so the outlet air passes through twice . might work ($$$$$$$)...might be a dead end . christ , i think im just gonna end the insanity and get a A4 1.8t .

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres a shot of the actual CAD drawing for the water to air intercooler.
    i should hopefully have the actual intercooler friday, and then ill post some pics of it.
    i cant wait!!!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...5271&members=1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123