Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HP figures for the 6 PSI pulley are 160 at the wheels. Not really worth it IMHO. I think with some DPR head work and bolt ons you could do about the same thing.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That is not the question he asked. I think JR has some on thier web site!

Kyle

DefAcura

I think JR said the reason is that the M62 hit against the oil separator(I think). Not sure, but it was some lame excuse. It's not like the M62 is this massive thing that barely squeezes in the engine bay. If they had wanted to get it in there, they could have easily. I think they just tried to use the same manifold as the GSR and it wouldn't fit. Anyone who doubts this just take a look in any Integra's engine bay behind the engine. Yep, that ~2ft of space between the engine and firewall is there in all of them.

Someone mentioned that JR wants to sell blowers. That's very true, and that's the reason the LS doesn't use an M62. It would have taken alot of time and resources to develop a new manifold, get castings for it, make it, yada yada. It's not that JR couldn't fit the M62 in the LS engine bay, it's that they didn't want to spend the time to get it done. They saw an easy way to stick on a lil' M45 and get the kit out fast and make some more money.

Also, the GSR motor doesn't actually sit higher, the deck is 7mm higher than B18B1. That's why it appears higher. But again, 7mm doesn't make that big of a difference.

Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't forget, the GSR motor can flow perhaps 30% more air than the LS motor in stock trim. That alone may have had a lot to do with the choice of blower. With 6psi as the target, putting an M45 on a GSR would certainly require spinning it too fast. Likewise putting an M62 on a stock LS might require spinning it too slowly.

[Oops! Just noticed I'd posted 20%, I meant 30%]

[This message has been edited by rjaffey (edited March 22, 2000).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So rjaffey, if what you say is true an 8psi upgrade on the M45 blower would be too much for it too handle? If so, that is unfortunate as that is the route I am planning to go.

------------------
    I live my life on the line.............the redline!

1994 Granada Black Pearl Civic coupe w/ 96 LS motor soon to be charged, supercharged that is.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

rjaffery,
    I do not follow your statement "With 6psi as the target, putting an M45 on a GSR would certainly require spinning it too fast. Likewise putting an M62 on a stock LS might require spinning it too slowly". I always thought that a given RPM(say 6k)is the same regardless of the motor. So if the target is 6psi @ 6k, why would that be different between the b18b and b18c. Now, I do understand about flow efficiency but, I am not sure the GSR engine is that much more efficient. BTW, when JR first developed their Civic kits they noticed that the non-vetc setup produce as much power and sometimes more. They speculated that they would see the same results in the Integras until they had to use a smaller unit. Lastly, realizing that there is a C/R issue, why is it that the Type-R(which ahas better flow than a GSR) with a 6psi kit only produces reletivly the same numbers as a GSR with 6psi?

------------------
    Jef
    "If you know the rules and choose to break them,
    Don't B!tch about the Penalties!"

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just look at the numbers you are trying to flow on the GS-R at 8k. The M62 blower profile is better suited for the air flow and redline of the GS-R motor. The M45 blower is perfectly capable of running 10psi of boost. Many SC-Miata guys are running this much boost and have been for a few years.

------------------
    I am making $150-200 a month, just for surfing the net!!!

Find out how you can do the same at VTeCno's Get Paid to Surf Site!

Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Arrow

Although the roots blower's airflow increases in a *somewhat* linear fashion with respect to the engine rpms, there is a range where it is most efficient. Spin the blower too slowly and the blowby is a significant factor (less boost). Spin the blower too fast and it heats the air up too much, draws more power from the engine, and in the extreme case the blower wears out quickly.

Even if we assume that a GSR motor spinning at 8000RPM requires only 15% more airflow than an LS motor spinning at 7000RPM, it still means spinning the blower that much faster and that may put an M45 too close to a reasonable upper limit. I think the spread is much bigger than 15% though, perhaps over 30% difference between the two motors at the top end.

In any event, this doesn't mean an M45 won't support 8psi on a B18B motor. I was just suggesting that this might be why the B18B motor got an M45 blower fitment not an M62.

[This message has been edited by rjaffey (edited March 20, 2000).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've seen a lot of M62 blowers on D16 engines in my travels and they don't seem to have any problems withrunning the blower at lower rpm than the M45 blowers. The amount od heat produced is a lot less at lower revs and, if you need it, you can always go with a smaller pulley for more boost.
    I've seen stuff (JRSC's) for R Types that are a bolt on to the B18A/B engines and the M62s work great. The oil cans were modified, but that can't be more than a 20 minute deal. I suppose that endyn just does that as part of the job.
    If an M62 works on a little D16, it can't be too big for a B18 and I don't care how much the heads flow. Displacement and availability is what drives blower size on these kits.
    You can't compare the air flow anyway for the engines. The flow bench comparisons don't mean anything because on the engines the pressure drops (or test pressures) are a lot different between the b/c engines.
    Go figure

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Where'd you see M62's on D16's?

I'd like to get my hands on an M62...

------------------