Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: LHT Performance intercooled M62 JRSC on a B18B running 8 psi question(s).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by -TJ:
    Thanks for the input Mark.
    I'm definately leaning toward building my own IC intake with laminova cores (and the extrusion you mentioned), unless the project looks like it'll be more expensive than the LHT unit...

I've got the necessary machine tools in my garage to fabricate anything I really need, plus there is a Laminova 'dealer' in my area.

As long as I'm fabricating, I plan to rotate the blower exit toward the runners to eliminate the harsh turn the JR manifold has, or at the very least, soften the angle. Lots of things are in the way though...

Since John does not use an extrusion to force the charge air through the cores, I'd guess that is why it flows more than the data I have.

I'm not aware of any other mfg. of cores like LHT or Laminova....that's why I guessed John was using Laminova.

Are you using an LHT unit? How much "coolant" do you run? What kind of pump?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I own one, but I haven't installed it yet...

I pulled a used coolant reservoir from an old Vauxhall Astra, its about 1.5 litre I think. It's got the perfect shape to fit where the old airfilter box was located. It should be big enough to give me some buffer functionality.

I use the LHT supplied pump and heat exchanger. The pump is a Johnson CO30P5-1, flowing just over 6 US gallons per minute. Here's a picture of the kit (without reservoir):
    http://www.pixum.nl/members/mgro1102...130689a7063df7

Just out of curiosity... what do those cores set you back if you get them from your local Laminova "dealer"?

Mark.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hey thanks for posting those pics [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Inactive Member jag@brownout.com's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have an LHT intercooler setup on my GSR running at around 9 psi. With the pump disconnected I see intake temperatures of around 160 degrees (from a datalog with my hondata setup). With the pump connected I see intake temperatures of around 90 degrees. This is while cruising on the highway. I have yet to see what the drop is while drag racing or dynoing the car.

I saw a 15 or 20 HP increase in power before I even plumbed the water. I suspect this is from the porting of the S tube and the manifold.

Hopefully sometime soon I'll get around to dynoing the thing with the water connected. It doesn't get nearly as heat soaked as it used too...

-Jeremy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jeremy Green:
    I have an LHT intercooler setup on my GSR running at around 9 psi. With the pump disconnected I see intake temperatures of around 160 degrees (from a datalog with my hondata setup). With the pump connected I see intake temperatures of around 90 degrees. This is while cruising on the highway. I have yet to see what the drop is while drag racing or dynoing the car.

I saw a 15 or 20 HP increase in power before I even plumbed the water. I suspect this is from the porting of the S tube and the manifold.

Hopefully sometime soon I'll get around to dynoing the thing with the water connected. It doesn't get nearly as heat soaked as it used too...

-Jeremy
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for sharing that, Jeremy. A lot of us have many questions about this product. I have listed some of mine below; I'd be very grateful if you'd be willing to take a look at those!

Are you running 9psi with or without the water connected?
    What kind of pump do you use (flow rate)?
    What size heat exchanger?
    Do you use a reservoir, if so, how big and where did you put it?
    Did you use a stock Honda intake manifold gasket?

Is there any difference in throttle response?
    How much is heat soak reduced? Virtually gone, or still clearly noticeable?

Sorry for flooding you with questions like this, but I want to learn as much as I can before I actually install mine!

Thanks,

Mark.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

I didn't pay much attention to the boost drop with the pump connected. I actually still haven't gotten around to wiring it up to be on with the ignition. I've been delaying because I want it to be neat and I haven't had the time to find a good place to grab the power from.

The pump I'm using is the one that came with the kit. It looks similar to the jabsco one at: http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/

The heat exchanger is also the one that lht sells. I haven't measured it.

When I have the pump on heat soak is gone. I never see intake temperatures above 90 degrees or so.

I have the hondata intake gasket on there which I never did notice any improvements with but it is a nice reusable gasket [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am using a reservoir. It is a 32 oz nalgene bottle. I'm going to make a better one at some point.

-Jeremy

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Originally posted by Jeremy Green:
    <snip>

When I have the pump on heat soak is gone. I never see intake temperatures above 90 degrees or so.

I have the hondata intake gasket on there which I never did notice any improvements with but it is a nice reusable gasket [img]smile.gif[/img]

I am using a reservoir. It is a 32 oz nalgene bottle. I'm going to make a better one at some point.

-Jeremy
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm very glad to hear that the heat soak is gone. I really hate it how the car gets sluggish and loses top end when heat soak sets in (especially at higher boost). Driving the car is fun only when its still relatively cold. This alone justifies the intercooler IMO!

I also got a reservoir, from an old Vauxhall. I plumbed it so that I can also use it as the radiator expansion reservoir- saves some space.

Do you have any pictures of the installation?

Mark.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeremy,

thanks a lot for posting. as you probably know, there arent too many people on this or other boards that have th LHT intercooler yet, so all of the info you provide is greatly appreciated. like mgro said, pics of the install would be cool if you have them. i look forward to your dyno results [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'll post some pics tomorrow if it isn't pouring out...

It's not that exciting to look at...

If you want something fun to look at in the meantime check out my brother's galant VR-4 at http://www.brownout.com/gallery/gvr4 [img]smile.gif[/img]

I need to make up a new reservoir, I think my nalgene bottle is leaking...

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ November 20, 2003 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy Green ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There are a few pictures up at: http://www.brownout.com/gallery/gsr

I apologize for the quality. It was night time...

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks a lot man [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678