Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: maintenance

  1. #1
    Inactive Member uiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2000
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    hi! hope someone can help me out here. i have somehow acquired a 94 gsr jrsc (with only a few other mods, nothing extensive i believe), of which i don't know much about tongue
    it has reached 60000miles and i know i'm supposed to get some maintenance work done at this time. i went to the acura dealer and he gave me this whole list of services they would do for the car at 60000 for $540.
    i went out and bought the correct ngk spark plugs (after reading about it on this board) for this car (i have no idea what kind of spark plugs the dealer will use for me if i don't bring my own...). and now i am wondering if there's anything else i should look out for? whether there any other differences for the 60000miles service for a supercharged car? or in the first place, should i be bringing it for this kind of maintenance?
    thanks in advance for any help...i'm lost!!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would take it to an independant mechanic.

    The guys at the dealers tend to be very "by the book" and don't always involve their brains in the process. I think a JRSC GSR has too many places where any mechanic working on it needs to be smart.

    The only "involved" parts of the 60K maintenance is the timing belt and perhaps adjusting the valves. Neither of these requires special "dealer knowledge" or "tools".

    Everytime I've had something done at a dealer (I don't do this anymore!), I've been unsatisfied. Everytime I've had work done by a independant mechanic I know to be reputable , I've been fully satisfied.

    YMMV

    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC @6psi, AEM CAI/RSR 4-2-1/Greddy PE, Cartech 20005/Walbro GSS-342, KYB AGX/H&R OE Sport/ST 19mm Rear Swaybar
    Best 1/4 ==> 13.937 @ 101.41mph
    My JRSC Install Site

  3. #3
    Inactive Member BlownAway's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    343
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have to agree with Holden. I've called the dealer to see about testing my distributor to find a missfire. Their expert told me that my aftermarket wires, plugs, cap and rotors just won't work right on a GSR. (Bullsh*t) During an earlier consultation with another of their experts, I discovered he had no idea where the service connector was.
    I'm afraid these guys can only handle whats in the manual, anything else is beyond their abilities.
    You're going to have to search your area for a shop that is knowledgeable about modified Hondas. If this board can't help you, you could try talking to the local guys with modified cars. Good luck.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member uiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2000
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    thanks for your replies. around my area, the more reputable mechanics with modified cars are in chicago. i don't mind going up there to get work done on my car, though it's about 1.5 hrs away, but they usually charge a lot. being a gal, i guess mechanics think they can easily cheat me...which MAY be true... tongue if i juz get the timing belt and spark plugs changed, and adjust the valves, how many hours, approx, do you think i should be charged for?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Valves should be less than an hour. Spark plugs should be like 15 minutes. I don't know about the timing belt.

    Go to http://cartalk.cars.com/About/Garage/intro.html and look for a mechanic near you.

    Good luck.

    BTW, someone did a test last year where they sent a man and a woman (seperately) with similar cars with the same problems to the same garages and something like 60% of them tried to rip off the woman while dealing honestly with the man. Maybe a male friend of your's could pretend it's his car?

    Greg

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rafe... aren't you in Chicago... maybe you could help this poor damsel in distress...



    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Import Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 26th, 2000
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Greg:

    Are you sure about the timing belt change interval?...

    Honda/Acura recommends replacing the belt at 90K on vehicles after 87'
    (does JR recommend an earlier interval that I'm not aware of?)...

    Donny

  8. #8
    Inactive Member uiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 4th, 2000
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yeah, i was wondering about that too because on the list that the dealer gave me for the services performed at 60k, it doesn't include replacing the timing belt.
    is it necessary to do it now? or should i wait till 90k?

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well how do you like that?!? I'm 100% wrong. It's 90K for the timing belt. I think I've thought that was a 60K thing for all the years I've had my car!

    Greg

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Whumppp... There it is. 60K IS the timing belt interval on the SEVERE maintenance schedule.

    I think we all fall under that category! wink

    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •