Thread: Bitch-Bolt (and other reasons that today sucks)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just spent the last 3 hours trying to loosen a bolt! And I STILL haven't got it! I was going to put in my new carpet today, so I was trying to remove the door sills. In order to do so, there's 2 bolts that have to be removed. They are bigass Torx bolts (I had to go buy a T-40 for them). Get this... I actually TWISTED the T-40 trying to get the last one off! Now, the bolts all stripped out too. So I went at it with my dremel to try and cut some slots to use a flathead. Ruined 2 cutting discs to do it, and the flathead idea didn't work either... Guess I'm gonna have to drill it out. Oh... And I'm hung-over too. [img]mad.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yeah i tried to get those loose once, but they are do damn tight.... i dont know whats tighter, them or the crank bolt!?!?!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool

i just put new carpet in this week..i used a t40 and a snap-on 3/8 impact gun....boom out they came...fear the snappy power, bolts be ware..
    what is that bracket for anyway? aligns the door?
    then when i went to put it back on i lost the little plastic caps that cover the head of the bolt. the whole putting the carpet in took alot longer than i tought..all the lining up and trimming i hated cutting the brand new carpet..

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mitch-d:
    i just put new carpet in this week..i used a t40 and a snap-on 3/8 impact gun....boom out they came...fear the snappy power, bolts be ware..
    what is that bracket for anyway? aligns the door?
    then when i went to put it back on i lost the little plastic caps that cover the head of the bolt. the whole putting the carpet in took alot longer than i tought..all the lining up and trimming i hated cutting the brand new carpet..
    </font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

those brackets are there to reinforce the strengh of the door mounted seatbelts.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ahhh the trick is to use a sawzall to cut everything that is not the bolt. it would probibly be easyer to use an impact wrinch they teind not to strip as much IMO

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

If the bolts weren't stripped out, I would suggest a torx bit with a impact driver, cheaper than impact gun. That would do the trick. Might want to just drill them out now.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LOL - I was trying to work out what bolts you meant - then I read "door mounted seatbelts" [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

I still can't believe you guys got those on a Civic. What happens in an accident if the door gets torn off? [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got that bolt out. Had to drill it out and then use a screw extractor (a.k.a. easy-out). Worked like a charm, now I'm gonna hafta find a bolt to replace it. By the way... Does anyone know how to get the dead-pedal off?!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got that bolt out. Had to drill it out and then use a screw extractor (a.k.a. easy-out). Worked like a charm, now I'm gonna hafta find a bolt to replace it. By the way... Does anyone know how to get the dead-pedal off?!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">By the way... Does anyone know how to get the dead-pedal off?!</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think someone said there's a small round cover that you have to pry up, then you'll find a bolt underneath that.