Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question

On my drive home this morning I noticed my temperature gauge was getting a little on the high end. So when I get ready for work tonight I'm gonna check the coolant level. If it's low I want to make sure I add the correct antifreeze solution. I don't know if there is a certain type to use or will any brand/type work?
    Does it need a 50-50 mix or straight antifreeze? Add it with the engine off or with the engine running?
    I just hope it doesn't need some special "Honda Only" fluid from the dealership. [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I usually buy the 50/50 premix from Napa and add that. It's what I flush and refill with too. Don't add it when hot. Getting the cap off the rad is dangerous, plus pouring cold antifreeze in a hot rad could warp vanes and tubes.

Fill the rad to top then fill the overflow to top. Run engine with heater on high at decent RPM's (2500) with a sheet of cardboard in front of the rad with rad cap off. When the level has tapered off add fluid back to full and cap her off and you're done.

Inactive Member BiffStroganoffsky's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Bonnie hasn't responded to my message regarding her extra bumper cover so I might hold off on the aux 'buy now'. I was hoping to get parts from her because they are most likely Captiva Blue like my Solitaire but I may opt for a Civic front end sans aux lights if I can't get a stock replacement.

Eh, the buy it now is gone.

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 12, 2006 01:51 PM: Message edited by: BiffStroganoffsky ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The one big trap is if it happens to have the 'green' or organic anti-freeze in there now. You can't mix the types but brands shouldn't be a problem. 50/50 is safe but the pre-mixed stuff seems a tad more expensive than mixing your own. Just use distilled water when mixing and your system should be happy. The climate around here is 'mild' so you can edge towards the 70/30 (water to coolant) ratio and get a little betting cooling without too much worry that your block will crack.

On a side note reewinder, I seem to remember that you got EDM aux lights for your sol. Do you have an extra aux you might be looking to get rid off?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the info on all that.
    I did get the EDM lights but I have not installed them as of yet. Me and Ann are in the process of buying a condo and I was gonna wait to install them after we get it. That way I will have a garage to do the work in and stay warm and dry.

I just saw an auction on Ebay for EDM aux lights and he posted a buy-it-now for $275 shipped.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EDM-J...spagenameZWDVW

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blah, i cant believe you didnt think of me...i can get the euro aux lights brand new for about $350, grommet and all. The only thing you need is an A4 light bulb and a socket. This is basically what what Geo has. I am also working on something else these days, i noticed that the optional fog lights for the 96-97 del sols are about the same shape and size as our aux lights and it even has the same connector...gonna try to make this fit in the aux light hole even though the bracket isnt exactly the same.

Originally posted by BiffStroganoffsky:
    Hmm, I'll have to think about it. Bonnie hasn't responded to my message regarding her extra bumper cover so I might hold off on the aux 'buy now'. I was hoping to get parts from her because they are most likely Captiva Blue like my Solitaire but I may opt for a Civic front end sans aux lights if I can't get a stock replacement.

Eh, the buy it now is gone.

<font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ December 12, 2006 01:51 PM: Message edited by: BiffStroganoffsky ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nothing personal. I just didn't think you came out of your football cave until after February. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]