Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok guys, I need some help. I have a 93 del sol s, and i am going to buy a 2nd gen b16a to put in it. What is needed to do this swap. I know there isn't alot, but i need to know everything to get, cause i am gonna take out a loan, and i need to know how much to take out. I think i need motor mounts, but i am not sure what else is involved. Please help.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not a bad swap.

Something to remember, your going from D block to B block. You'll need everything from the B block family as D block is not compatible with the B block.

Couple things just off the top of my head that you'll need...ECU, transmission/shift linkage, axels, wiring harness, mounts for engine and transmission.

It's a "bolt in" process. However, you'll have to keep in mind that you won't be able to transfer parts such as intake manifold/exaust manifold or any other basic stuff from one to the other.

As for prices, check out the link: http://sohfast.com
    There are other sites out there as well, just take some searching.
    Good luck, hope that helps some.

~brent

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a few other things to add to the list: VTEC radiator, VTEC hoses (top and bottom), a/c bracket (if you have a/c, also used as the fifth mounting point), rear mount bracket. As to the wiring depending on which engine you get US or JDM will add to the job or be petty much plug and play, some wires will need to be lenghtened, added etc (most of it is up to the plugin point in the engine bay). A factory '94 or '95 del sol service manual would be a big help on the wiring, help on the engine mounts etc. A least adding rear disk brakes because of the power increase would be a real plus as the S model brakes won't do the job with the new motor. That's about all I can think of at this time, I've done one swap with a JDM engine in my son's car, had to change all the wiring from the engine, change the intake, ignition control module and change the trans from a stick to an auto trans, this was on a d15. By the way how much experience do you have, you may want/need someone to help you out that's done this before to make it go smoother. Also do some more research on the subject for more, books, magazines, internet searches on the subject, etc. I know I left out a lot of info otherwise I would be writing a book. This is not to put you off just want to you to know what your getting into. Best of luck with it, you'll learn a lot from/by doing it.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

newlogo1

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 19, 2003 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Geo VP ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well, thanks guys. But i have a couple questions. I was looking at buying through Nippon Motors, and getting their combo package with the Motor, Transmission, and ECU. Is most of the things you mentioned gonna come on the motor(such as hoses, intake, and that stuff)? I knwo i would have to buy mounts.
    and my friend who is in school for mechanics is gonna help put the motor in, so we SHOULD be ok, but we will see.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Calling them will/should answer most of your questions. Don't believe it will come with hoses, or the intake hose (black plastic piece to the air box, the S model is to small to fit I think). Make sure you get the 'hydro trans' one, not the cable trans. It would also be easier to update some of the brake parts with the engine out as you have to change the proportioning valve for disks as it is different then the drum brake one (use one from any Honda car with rear disks, as all are the same (Honda only uses two, one for disk/drums, one for disks all wheels), rear disk brakes can come from an '92-'95 EX or Integra model with them) along with the master cylinder and booster (if an Integra one is used, one brake line will have to be changed some, different fitting used on the one, front one I believe). Your stock cat along with the rest of the exhaust will be to small for the new motor to get the full potential out of it. Should change out the radiator to one from a DOHC VTEC model as it will overheat on you with the S one in the summer for sure (the DOHC one is twice as thick or one out of a Integra, full face if you don't have a/c). Hopefully the main wire plug will fit without any problem, if not just use the old S harness and add the wires needed to it from the other harness (pop them out and reinstall them into the S harness in the right places, that's where the factory service manual come in to play), as I stated before most if not all wires are already there on the plug side to the ECU (about four wires are needed if I remember right). For shift linkage go to the dealer to get it, around $120 for the two pieces needed. Also you should make sure the axles are included, should be. Then there's the suspension that will need work to keep up with the new engine. Also if your changing from an auto trans model your in for some fun changing out the mount on the frame (have to find one in the junkyard as Honda doesn't have any anymore from what I heard) and have it welded on.

Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

newlogo1

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the info guys, if i lived closer, i would see if you guys wanted to work on it with me, but im a ways away. Plus, i am still trying to find a place to get a loan.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know of a place that gets motors from Japan. They have package deals also. It's Rising sun engines. In Chico Cali, but I think they get good price on shipping to buisness. Ph # 800-660-4664. Where did you get some prices for motors?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

do they have a website at all. That would be helpful. The only place i have checked on prices is Nippon Motors.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i've heard really really bad things about osaka and nippon, the ones ive heard the very best things about is hmotorsonline.com, and jdmclub.com is supposed to have some pretty good stuff too