Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games: The Gamecube's twilight, and the dawn of digital distribution.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

IRT Wiseman - "Do you have more information on what they actually meant by this? Servers are something different from the way you connect it to the network and what kind of network it is, so this doesn't make sense."

No more information on that, since all this news came from Ken Kutaragi who's notorious for being a tight-lipped obnoxious bastard. I actually think this feature is a waste of resource on Sony's part, since most people can make do with ICS or already have a hub/router. Maybe its just Sony trying to move away from anything related to Microsoft, like the adoption of Linux would suggest.

Oh yeah, and i agree that using the Linux OS is a great idea. Think of how easily exploited the PS3 will be. Sony could really be shooting themselves in the foot with this one, but its going to give us consumers a lot of flexibility with the console. I got a taster of this with the PS2 HDD, for which hackers made a variety of homebrew OS's. Do you reckon it'll be possible for hackers to override the region blocking system using Linux though? That'd be ideal.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ March 16, 2006 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well, it just doesn't make sense. If by that they mean it'll incorporate a cable modem, then it's bad news: it will only work with one ISP per country. If it has an Ethernet interface, then it necessarily requires a hub unless you don't have a computer you want online. And either way that doesn't make it a server. And if it's a server, what's it serving? It sounds like marketware.

WRT Linux: its going to give us consumers a lot of flexibility with the console.
    Of course, it'll be awesome. Geeks can develop for it, and I could use my own stuff. For example, as soon as there's an SDL/PyGame port, I can get Python working and use my own open sauce image viewer (WiseView) which I created from scratch a few months agom optimized for smooth scrolling and zooming, manga reading and 16:9 TVs among other things. (I plan on releasing my WiseView for the current Python platforms (PCs and Macs with any OS) if I have time, it's pretty good.)

Do you reckon it'll be possible for hackers to override the region blocking system using Linux though?
    Chances are that it won't be impossible, but how easy will it be depends solely on the architecture and how much time and money does Sony spend on fucking us. The good news is we already have a good source to start finding backdoors and building loaders, and there are many experienced Linux hackers who would be most happy to crack that b?tch.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mm, i thought so! Familiarity with the OS will probably speed the hacking process along nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12