Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bucs get their man - Jon Gruden!!

Inactive Member Maximus Decimus Meridius's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

f05green

Bets anyone?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Smackie Chan:
    I'll be sending you my resume, Mr. Davis.

Sincerely,

</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, the thought never crossed my mind, but WTF? I thought Mora might go to Tampa. You know, a trade coaches thing. forums I seriously doubt if Mora will ever get a head coach job. I here Davis is interested in the Nutty Professor (Green).

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sudden Sam:

You're right. The owners shouldn't hire a coach they think can win. They shouldn't hire the guy they want. They shouldn't hite a proven winner. They should hire a "man of color" just to satisfy whiny ass bitches like yourself.

If the Glazers thought fuckin' O.J. could win as their coach, they'd have hired him, you idiot! Owners are gonna hire the man they feel will win. Period. Fuck having to interview a guy just 'cause he's black. If he's good, they'll talk to him. If they think he'll do the job, they'll hire him...black, white, brown, whatever.

Tard forums

Sincerely,

Marvin Lewis

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Marvin Lewis shouldn't be the defensive coordinator of the Washington Redskins.

Nor should he be the defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens.

Lewis ought to be somebody's head coach for the 2002 NFL season.

He has been the best at what he does two years running. In 2000, his defense set a record for fewest points allowed. In 2001, despite being sabotaged by a turnover machine at quarterback and racked by injuries to key players, Lewis coordinated the second-ranked defense in the league. How many other coordinators have that kind of productivity the last two years? None. Not even John Fox, who Carolina hired to be its head coach.

The fear, prejudice, ignorance and plain bad judgment of any number of NFL teams have all worked in favor of the Washington Redskins, who now have the most underemployed coach in football coordinating their defense.
    I asked Dan Snyder if he felt like the luckiest man in football, having a coach as good as Lewis become suddenly available after the Tampa Bay fiasco. Snyder said: "He's a very special coach, and we're happy to have him. Actually, thrilled to have him."

Thirteen months ago, the Dan Snyder-Norv Turner union dissolved, after 1 2/3 seasons. That was followed by Marty Schottenheimer being hired by Snyder as coach and general manager -- a misguided effort by Snyder, at best. But now Snyder has gone out and recruited Steve Spurrier, to the tune of $25 million over five years. That infuriated Snyder's frat brother owners. Now, he's successfully lured Lewis from Baltimore to Washington, and made him the highest-paid coordinator in the league. That has really infuriated the boys in the brotherhood.

I asked Snyder if he is aware that some owners are upset with him for paying these two coaches so much money. He said: "I feel really good. Really, really good. It's worked out just fine." The words on a page can't possibly communicate how over the moon Snyder was at that moment.

Personally, I'm likely to applaud anybody who upsets the great majority of NFL owners. He must be doing something right. Back when Jerry Jones was doing the right stuff, spending money and making deals the old-guard owners didn't like, the owners hated Jones. Owners are upset with Snyder because he has raised the ceiling for player and owner salaries. Good. I'm also amused with those fans who claim they want the owner to be proactive, but complain about how much he spends in salaries. What do they care if a billionaire pays somebody more than the next guy? I wouldn't get worked up if Snyder paid Spurrier $10 million a year.

Snyder is mum on this subject publicly because he doesn't want to further antagonize the boys in the brotherhood. But here's something else he has to know. He has now set up his organization exactly as he wants it. He got the offensive genius he coveted, he has the best defensive coach in the league, a guy who can operate autonomously.

Now, Snyder can be judged accordingly. There are no more excuses. Everybody's handpicked, right? Everybody is somebody he coveted and lured away from something already successful and lucrative.

There's only one way for Snyder to shut up his critics, and that's winning. Everything is in place, including personnel people smart enough to find the right quarterback for Spurrier.

If the Redskins win, Snyder didn't overpay anybody. He will have done exactly what he should have.

If the Redskins don't win, he will have overpaid everybody and will be judged as a guy who never gets value for his money.

As for Lewis, I'm glad he went out of his way Monday during his introductory news conference to repeatedly thank Art Modell, Ozzie Newsome and Brian Billick. Modell and Billick allowed him great autonomy in Baltimore, and it worked. Newsome got the players that fit best in his defensive schemes.

Modell was the first person I ever heard lobby for Lewis to be a head coach, even though it would mean losing him. Men such as Lewis and Newsome and front-office ace Earnest Byner get a chance to prove how good they can be in Baltimore because Modell finds the best men available, many of them black, and says, "Come work for me."

Having said that, I understand why Lewis left. The Ravens, largely because of salary cap issues, could have five or six new defensive starters next season. Lewis compared his working with Spurrier with Oklahoma's Bob Stoops when he coached defense for Spurrier at the University of Florida. It made Stoops a better head coach when he got the chance.

One can only hope Lewis gets a similar chance. Last Friday, he was rejected by Tampa because Joel Glazer -- yes, I'm separating him from his brother, Bryan, in this fiasco -- had a change of heart. There's word out there now in NFL circles that Lewis didn't really want the Buccaneers' job; and that he didn't go after the Bills' job assertively enough last year.

That's wrong.

Lewis wanted the Bucs' job, but Joel Glazer didn't want him.

I asked Snyder what he found when he met with Lewis. "He's extremely intelligent and very, very composed," Snyder said. "I found him funny, charming. People who would suggest [he didn't interview well] couldn't have met him."

Joel Glazer and Tampa Bay will eventually hire a coach, and maybe the Glazers will get lucky and land somebody like Nick Saban.

In the meantime, Snyder has his front-office and coaching team in place; Spurrier has the best defensive colleague a rookie NFL coach could want; and Marvin Lewis has a sweet pay raise and continued hope he'll have his own team to coach one day."

by michael wilbon washington post

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Biggie:
    Raiderfan spin job in

</font></font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well here you go. I HATE to see Gruden leave BUT the Godfather basically burned his bridges with him and he would not come back after next season anyway. Plus this team is ooold. Gannon old, Brown old, Rice old, so I don't know how many more shots they would have with this squad anyway, so getting 2 first round and 2 second round picks might make a huge difference in how long a "down" period would last. Now let's hope that TB tanks it so those picks are quality ones!!!

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 18, 2002 10:54 PM: Message edited by: vitocorleone ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2 #1's & 2 #2's. Sounds to me like Grandma Davis RAPED Tampa Bay with a telephone pole.

NOt that it'll do him any good. He'll still be Shannahan's bitch

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cuda:
    2 #1's & 2 #2's. Sounds to me like Grandma Davis RAPED Tampa Bay with a telephone pole.

Agreed. No head coach is worth that many draft picks unless said team has cap room to spare.

Also, KC, STL thanks you again for picking up the retired Vermeil and giving us that #1 pick.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I don't see the edge that Gruden gives the Bucs.
    He is no offensive mastermind and he doesn't have the track record on defense that Dungy brought or Lewis would have provided. I really thought Norv Turner would have been a better fit. He sure would have cost less. Even if they can make a trade to recoup those draft picks unless your name is Parcell or Walsh, a coach is not worth it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A voice of reason from the dark side.
    The NFL had to approve the trade of picks for a coach....thus if the raiduhs got over, I guess there was no big conspiracy against the raiduhs? I mean if the NFL is out to get Davis and the raiduhs, why would they let the trade go through?
    Kinda kills the conspiracy brought on by the Pats game too. Either that or the league approved it because the raiduhs were getting fucked. Besides, why are we discussing a coach screwing his team by bolting for greener pastures; didn't the raiduhs already do that twice?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cuda:

I disagree. It seems that Tampa Bay has everything there for them, there's just one thing missing from them getting deeper into the playoffs. Maybe that one thing is a coach that can get shit done.

The Patriots dealt away #1's and #2's for Bill Bellichick and look where that got them.....Superbowl Champs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast