Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

can't really argue with darkhorse's list much at all, like everyone else said great list.

would have loved to have seen john salyers have a qb so he could have played rb where he was a hell of a runner.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree with O-Line77 about John Salyers he probably could have been one of the top 2 or 3 RB's in Haysi history had he got to play that position a little more...i dunno if he would have been durable enough though coz it seems like he got banged up really easy and often.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well Darkhorse I don't really read alot into stats and what not, I threw for quite a few yards and TD's but so did alot of other guys...I wasn't the one who raised this topic(I think I know why OTF did) but since it was brought up I will say that the most important statistic for a QB in my mind is wins...thats really what you are out there for and thats all any Coach can ask of his QB...TD passes and yardage are fine but just think the all time leading passer in NCAA Div 1 is Timmy Chang...yes thats right undrafted Timmy Chang...Michael Vick is behind about 50 other QB's in VHSL history including myself in TD Passes and Yardage, the guy just wins games...fact is stats don't matter much except to the media and fans...would you rather have Dan Marino and all the stats or Joe Montana and all the rings? The thing I'm most proud of about my high school sports career(long time ago) is all the wins I was able to be a part of as a starter at QB in Football and also in B-Ball....put those two sports together and I can't think of anyone that was lucky enough to have more total wins as a starter in this area...don't get me wrong there may be someone but thats the "stat" I would have to give you Darkhorse since you asked...I couldn't give you accurate passing stats without looking it up anyway because like I said its been awhile and it doesn't really determine who was better anyway...but thanks for the props.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

well said james wins are the key stat when you talk about QB's

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So how many combined wins did you have as a starter in those sports?

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

If my math and memory server me correctly Im pretty sure in saying the magic number is 104...and I did say as a "STARTER." 32 in Football and 72 in Basketball.

Another important factor i forgot to mention in being a QB is looks. As Joe Namath once said: "I can't wait til tommorrow....cause I get better looking everyday." [img]wink.gif[/img]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

on the comment about michael vick and winning games and not having stats...yes he did win games in college and has done a good job with the falcons...yes you are ahead of him in the VHSL record book and also way ahead of him in the wins column...vick won maybe 10 games total in his four years at warwick...warwick high school was terrible but granted they do play in the same district as pheobus, bethal, Kecoughtan, and hampton...and hampton also had ronald curry possibly one of the greatest high athlete's ever...but you say that vick just wins games, he barely won in high school and his career stats 4,846 yards and 43 touchdowns and as a senior 1,668 yards passing as a senior ... Accounted for 20 touchdowns, 10 rushing and 10 passing... Accounted for 295 yards passing against Hampton.. and remember he is AAA so still i don't know where you get he never had good stats and just won games...only thing i can figure is you are talking about the pros because in college he had over 2300 total yards and 20 touchdowns in 1999(the only year he played)which is pretty good...i think

<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 16, 2005 11:39 AM: Message edited by: gobigred ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Once again GoBigRed brings in some excellent football knowledge and you say that this person doesn't know anything about foootball. I think he must be a freakin' genius or just really, really, really, into football. Good Job GoBigRed

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also noticed gobigred stated that Michael Vick only played one year in college...He actually played 2 years...he was QB there in 1999 and 2000. The 20 touchdowns he mentioned in 99 were combined TD's passing and running...he only passed for just over 1800 yards and 12 touchdowns which are modest passing numbers to say the least for an 11-1 team that made it to the national championship...thats only around 150 yards a game and 1 TD per game...but like I said it doesn't matter because they WON.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This may not be 100% accurate but from what I came up with based on who was QB at the time and Haysi's record that year its probably really close to the total wins for each:

1. Jason Compton 36 (1 Reg. D Championship)
    2. Jamie Hackney 32 (1 Reg. D Championship)
    3. Terry Gulley 25
    3. Jake Colley 25
    5. Robbie Colley 20
    6. Trevor Childress 19
    7. John Salyers 12
    7. Eugene Hackney 12
    9. Mike Mullins 11
    10 Bob Kiser 9

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast