Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mark Robinson-Whitewood(in three years he scored 1831 pts not 3 pts line, averaged 38.6 pts and 24 rebs and 12 assits a game in 1970, still hold the record for rebonds in a game in the state of Va. with 48 also scored 74 pts in that game. Way ahead of anyone else in this postion.

Mike Ratliff-Council (Not the most athletic guy but very productive and consistant, made himself what he was didnt have all the talent but great work ethic and fundamentals made him the 3 time MVP of the BDD.

Jason Compton-Honaker (Lead the BDD in scoring 4 years and never won a MVP, kinda sad but he played during the Council dominace, still was explosive and did it with ease, makes one wonder what he could have done if he had gave a little more, still great leaper and scorer.

John Potter-Hurley (All-time leading score in his schools history and the lefty that was hefty could put the points on the board. As tough to stop as anyone with the girth and mobility he had.

Steve McNulty-Honaker(Could score and score and score. Did it mainly off of trash and put backs but never the less he made it an art. Was a force down low when he did post up and always played hard and like i said got more trash points than anyone i have ever seen.

Jeff Lester-Garden(Kid could leap out of the world and if he had not played with Shortridge then he would have put up bigger numbers but was quick and had a nice little jumper with that explosive leaping ability.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Not too many BDDers in SI like Robinson. Jeff Lester was probably one of the shot blockers too.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Robinson had some unreal numbers...true legend. Think he probably played before the BDD existed however.

I guarded most of the other guys you mentioned and wasn't that impressed with them...I feel most are overrated for whatever reason or another. McNulty could score but that was about it...Lester never played any defense on me that I can remember...I have no idea how Ratliff ended up scoring all those points. What you said about Potter was pretty much correct...he did alot with very little talent and I had trouble with him because he was left handed and had a quick release(only jumped a couple inches off the floor)....Compton was the most talented out of this group(other than Robinson). I think Lester is more known for improving in his 20's as opposed to what he actually did in H.S...even though he still doesn't play defense.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Jeff didn't have much to say about high school. When Kevin had Roger Rife kissing his butt all four years, not much room for any of the other guys.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hipo i think yoiu are right on with that man, Jeff would have been better had the guy he played with been more team oriented, Mark was unreal but i think it was District 7 or 11 or something where in they played CLeveland who had a 2000 point scorer in Jeff Owens i think.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

To be flat out honest with you guys Jeff Lester's career at Garden paled in comparison to Green Dragon post players of the late 80's up until '90 including Mark Belcher in that along with Roby Hale. If you want to give props to guys for how good they became in pick up ball or old timer tournaments after they were out of school then you have to give mention to guys like Chris Ramey and the Blankenship guy that everyone thinks looks like Michael Bolton on steroids.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

James i think i sense that you feel Lester was not much and hey i respect your opinion and i think Belcher is well worth mentioning also, i will say that Jeff Blankenship was good in high school also but i think Lester was pretty tough in High School but i only played againist him one year his senior year so that is all i have to go on and the tourney's like you were talking about. TO each his own bro.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Air-ran weren't you playing with us, me, Daniel, Brian Moore when we beat the Lesters and Blakenships in that Garden tournament. Jeff Blakenship didn't do a lot then.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Don't get me wrong Lester wasn't bad and I didn't mean it that way and you could probably mention him and be justified...just that there were others who I noticed were not mentioned that had better H.S. careers than Jeff Lester. I don't even know if Lester scored 1000 pts did he? I know they never won the BDD championship in his career and they never made it to the regional finals. The team they had when it was the Deskins brothers, Mark Belcher, Cecil Keene and that group were better than Shortridge, Lester, Hale and that bunch.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

DOnt think i played with you guys then Anselmo i played with James and Byrd and Duffy and Oj and we handled them by about 20 or 30 once, the last time we played but they beat my team 2 other times. I think the whole 1000 point thing is a joke to begin with i know kids that never scored a 1000 and they were better than a lot that did. Elmer Mullins scored a 1000 of Whitewood and he was nothing more than a shooting machine easy to score 1000 when you shot 10000 shots, just think that is overrated and not something that makes the ball player totally. Hell there were guys that scored a 1000 pts and i think i was better than them but that is another story. There were plenty good ones that could go before others but i have listed who i did you can alway have another list and hey it makes good conversation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast