Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As for The Yankees interest in Alomar, They pulled Drew Henson-Soriano and Nick Johnson off the table, Steinbrenner was pissed b/c Casheman couldn't pawn off crap like Ted Lilly-Shane Spencer and a couple other lower profile prospects on us. The team I thought might have interest in Alomar (Toronto) wouldn't give up their best infield prospect Felipe Lopez, there just was not any better package out there than the one we got from the Mets. The Atlanta Braves who tried to sign him a couple yrs ago would not give up Marquios Giles, Wilson Bettiment nor Rafael Furcal or any of their top pitching prospects. These were the only trade suitors in any Alomar deal but were unwilling to part with their top prospects for a guy who would be a free agent in two yrs or could demand a trade after his first season after a deal. Shapiro did get the best package that was out there for Alomar and there was not the interest in Alomar that most fans who opposed the deal think.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was interest probably, but not what Shapiro wanted, something that could help the team this year, Lawton and Riggan, along with foundations for the next couple years, Escobar and Traber along with Snyder the way he has been playing.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edwardo:
    . No one else wanted Robbie and his next contract.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Bing! You, sir, have just said the magic words. Swanny and friends need to repeat them until they finally sink in.

HOF or not, an aging middle infielder, best years behind him, about to demand a monster contract, makes economic sense for very few teams (and I think the Mets will soon find out that they're not on that list, because they're not going to be able to re-sign him- they will discover that they cleaned out what little was left of their farm system in return for a rent-a-player.)

As a fan of both the Tribe (as an adopted son of NE Ohio) and the Mets (the team I grew up rooting for in the NY suburbs), I have little doubt that the Amazins got the short end of that deal. I'm glad Shapiro got value for Robbie before he walked, but I wish Steve Phillips hadn't been the victim. wink

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alex:
    Someone reminded me today that part of what made Robbie so valuable is every at bat was an adventure for the opposing team.

Would Robbie lay down a beautiful bunt, slam a liner drive down the left line for a double, or hit an opposite field homer.

Sometimes Robbie would just settle for the walk knowing that with Juan and Thome coming up, there would be hell to pay.

Most people believe that Robbie has amazing range, so I don't know what to make of this "aging", under the league average in range claims that have been made on this board.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alex, he's still great even though he's not quite as superhuman as he was a few years ago. But the huge, new contract he's demanding will start when he's around 36, an age at which declining skills become visible in all middle infielders no matter how gifted. There's no way his actual performance will be worth the money he wants to receive over the next few years. Again, that's taking nothing away from the fact that he's one of the greatest players we'll ever be lucky enough to see.

------------------

[This message has been edited by supersleuth (edited March 18, 2002).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Someone reminded me today that part of what made Robbie so valuable is every at bat was an adventure for the opposing team.

Would Robbie lay down a beautiful bunt, slam a liner drive down the left line for a double, or hit an opposite field homer.

Sometimes Robbie would just settle for the walk knowing that with Juan and Thome coming up, there would be hell to pay.

Most people believe that Robbie has amazing range, so I don't know what to make of this "aging", under the league average in range claims that have been made on this board.

------------------
    Discuss This...<A HREF="http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=&number=30" TARGET=_blank>
    Super-8 Filmmaking in the Digital Age...</A>

Inactive Member Ytown Tribe fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What is a roster spot worth? We have 25 guys on the big league club, right?

As long as Shapiro has Wil Cordero on this team, he has 24 guys on the big league club, not 25. If Rivera makes the team, that 23 guys on the club.

Is the Tribe so chock-full of talent that we only need 23 guys to compete with the 25 that other teams carry?

Rivera and Cordero have NO VALUE. Hell, COrdero doesn't even have TRADE value.

------------------
    Proudly stating the obvious for over 40 years!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Alex,
    when was the last time Robbie hit an opposite field homer?! Everything I remember him hitting was pulled. Just a thought.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Shapiro receives F-

Total destruction of Indians playoff/WS potential. Turned a powerhouse team into the Brewers in less than a year. Zero good moves.

------------------

Edwardo

NYCJB, have you not been following spring training? The Tribe's pitching looks strong, while the WSox look like the Sister of Mercy softball team. No play-offs? I beg to differ. Unless the Twins' young hitters start banging, it's all Tribe.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Edwardo,
    Pay no attention to NYCJB; he is a prototypical "anti-fan" loser. All the fun of the game has long since left him, and he deserves our sympathy.

------------------
    Gramen artificiosum odi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast