Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Thome gone after this Season...???

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I say yes.

It is obvious to everyone on the sidelines that Thome should get a 10 million dollar a year contract for 3 or 4 years, with an extra option year.

Perhaps that is a commitment Dolan and Shapiro don't want to make, or a figure too low for Thome to accept.

------------------
    Discuss This...<A HREF="http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=&number=30" TARGET=_blank>
    Super-8 Filmmaking in the Digital Age...</A>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As I've said before he might be willing to take a hometown discount but that discount is not going to be huge. Let's hope everything works out because seeing Thome( a lifelong Indian) in a different uniform would be more disturbing than seeing Alomar in another uniform.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The point is there is nothing to discount and nothing to discuss, if ever there was a 10 million dollar man, it is Thome.

I wish someone had the guts to ask Thome's Agent AND Dolan if the above would be acceptable to both sides.

------------------
    Discuss This...<A HREF="http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=&number=30" TARGET=_blank>

Inactive Member Ytown Tribe fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thome will stay. He'll pull a McGwire and restructure his contract in such a way as to make payroll for Dolan -- maybe through some huge back-end deal.

Thome will stay as long as the Tribe wants him.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, He will be gone by the trading deadline. Management is not going to pay him, and by that time, he will realize his playoff and WS days are gone. He will land with a contending organization like the Braves, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, etc. that at least try to win. Thome will have an attitude like Roger Dorn from "Major League". Hence he will be saying "I am not taking a ball in the face for these losers" by May. Later Jim, you were great, but the Tribe cannot afford anything but below average garbage.

------------------

Inactive Member Ytown Tribe fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wow -- I take it back.

You really ARE an anti-fan! You don't let ANY logic or reality stand in the way of your hatred for the game!

Begone Demon! The power of Baseball compels you -- BEGONE!

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm with Alex. Thome is a good player and great guy, but has considerable weaknesses (especially his inability to hit lefties) that aren't going to improve at this stage of his career. He's worth 3 or 4 years at $10 mil per, but no more than that. If some other GM is stupid enough to overpay him, that's life.

Baseball is a business. Sentimental organizations don't win. Winning organizations don't hesitate to cut loose popular players whose value no longer justifies their cost. Just ask Tino Martinez. wink

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

JewBoy hit it on the head. I think Colon will also be gone by the deadline. It's the only move that makes sense for this team. Trade both while their value is high and get a pot full of prospects. Aren't the Indians looking towards the future? Winning the AL Central and getting bounced in the first round of the playoffs is the best this team can hope for. And that's not progress. Thome is worth more than $10 mil and Colon is a steal. Thome won't take less (why should he?) and Colon will be looking to make up the money he's "lost" under his current contract. Neither's situation is a palatable one for the Tribe front office.
    I should add those are two moves that would convince me the FO is serious about returning the Indians to respectability.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr. October (edited March 19, 2002).]

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The problem is Omar has two years coming up at 7.5 million a year, and I don't think Shapiro or Dolan want to go that route again.

------------------

Edwardo

It's rare for a player to become a free-agent and return to his team. But then, Thome is not the usual player.

Dolan would be crazy to let Thome walk. The attendance will plummet. If Dolan can't afford our marquee player, then he should sell the team to someone who can.

------------------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast