Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Lofton,Alomar,Gonzalez & Cordova

89 homers
    375 RBI
    362 Runs

Will someone try and explain where even half of these numbers are going to come from? The team won 90 games last season and some of you are convinced that they can do that again this year. Think again. It was time to let Lofton go but the other 3 should still be wearing Tribe uniforms next season.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

We are all heartbroken because Marty Cordova is gone, boo-hoo. I see how the rest of baseball is knocking themselves over trying to sign Juan my back hurts Gonzo. How many times do you have to be told that keeping Gonzales and Alomar accomplishes nuthing but maybe an AL Central title?

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

srg,
    forget it. it's no use.

------------------
    The Teacher

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I agree, it is a frightening statistic, no matter what side you are on about those three guys.

------------------
    Alex

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey srg and teacher. I can tell that you 2 are the kind of fans who would die for your team no matter how awful they are. You were probably huge fans back in the 70's when the team was brutal. Your homes are probably decorated with Tribe memorabilia and you both probably have enough Tribe gear in your closet to outfit an entire small city. Well good for you. It's a good thing that you 2 are good at accepting losing because there will be a lot of Tribe losses while Dolan still owns the team and Shapiro is running it. Why don't you try answering my question. Where is even half of that production going to come from? srg claims that keeping those guys would just result in another Central Division title. What a brilliant thing to say. Do you honestly believe that Shapiro's plan is going to get us a World Series ring in a few years? Hahahahahahahah!!!!!!! I think you should be careful who you call stupid. Now go put on your tribe pj's and go to bed and dream of the Indians winning the World Series fellas!

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Swanny:
    HI think you should be careful who you call stupid.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Nobody called anybody stupid. At least not in this thread.
    Swanny, how many titles did those sluggers and all-stars bring us? Zero.
    We will go as far as our pitching takes us. With or without Gonzo, Alomar, Cordova (who I wanted back), and Lofton (good riddance).

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Speaking Of frightining statistics, take a look at Marty Cordovas numbers from the last three yrs and tell me how we should have givin this 32 year old ONE half-season player a three year extension that Baltimore gave him.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/profiles/spli...ting/5347.html

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by srg:
    Speaking Of frightining statistics, take a look at Marty Cordovas numbers from the last three yrs and tell me how we should have givin this 32 year old ONE half-season player a three year extension that Baltimore gave him.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/profiles/spli...ting/5347.html
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Com'n, my friend. Marty hit .409 in April and .354 in May until Charlie started sitting him in favor of the "Professional Hitter."
    Marty could have and should have been re-signed in June for a lot less than Baltimore gave him. Of course, we wouldn't have the exciting prospect of watching Brady make his comeback.

------------------

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Marty hit .267 (I read that in another post) after the All Star Break.

I'm somewhat impressed he didn't have a total meltdown as the typical flash in the pan performance usually does.

Thome was so awful for the first 6 weeks...you could easily argue that Marty was rather stable over the full season, with the added bonus of two really amazing months thrown in.

If over a half the season the worst Marty did was has 267, combined with his brilliant beginning, Marty had a good year.

Now, is past performance indicative of future gains???

That is a mystery regarding Marty.

------------------
    Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited January 06, 2002).]

Inactive Member Ytown Tribe fan's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Past performance is usually indicative of what a player CAN do, taking park factor and age into account. What he WILL do, on the other hand...

For my money, failing to replace Robbie is what will hurt the offense this year (as if that wasn't obvious enough).

Juan had a fine year last year, probably his second best year ever. No one expects him to do it again, including the Tribe. So we're not really trying to replace Juan's numbers of last season, since he won't be doing that damage AGAINST us this season.

Same with Robbie: he's in the NL and won't be hurting us.

If you go position-by-position with the other AL teams, especially in the AL-Central, we aren't looking so bad, until the playoffs.

Tell you one thing -- if the Yanks had Wickman, they'd be World Champs. They win by having no weaknesses, not by having the very best players at each position.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast